Are you shooting as much with the ammo shortage ?

dgr416

I have gone to the range a few times lately but I took more pow pows and only shot them about 6 times each or less .I even hate working up new loads burning up powder and primers .I don't this ammo and reloading supply shortage will end for years .It was like this all 8 years of oboma .I am going to swap meets from forums that are based out of GA the prices for stuff is just way too high .I was teaching a youth shooting group but that had to be canceled from lack of ammo .I am starting to mold bullets for my pistols again to be able to shoot much .I am thinking about making a civil war model cannon to shoot rocks out of for fun because ammo is cheap .

I have gone to the range a few times lately but I took more pow pows and only shot them about 6 times each or less .I even hate working up new loads burning up powder and primers .I don't this ammo and reloading supply shortage will end for years .It was like this all 8 years of oboma .I am going to swap meets from forums that are based out of GA the prices for stuff is just way too high .I was teaching a youth shooting group but that had to be canceled from lack of ammo .I am starting to mold bullets for my pistols again to be able to shoot much .I am thinking about making a civil war model cannon to shoot rocks out of for fun because ammo is cheap .
Think about a golf ball canon. If you live close enough to a golf course or have friends who do, used range golf balls can be had very cheaply. I get a lot of these for egg shoots, and one of our locals built a canon to fire them. It is a true blast firing at 1/4 mile targets and actually hitting. I was amazed at how accurate we could become. BTW, we used to make our own BP, but now, we mostly use bought or substitutes.

Also for a fun project, once we made a glass marble canon from steel tubing and used Black Cat fire crackers as the propellant charge. A single fire cracker in a confined space could send those marbles many hundreds of yards.

As for other shootng due to current supply issues, it hasn't changed my shooting much, but it is winter here. Before the weather changed, we did shoot a little more 22LR than previous, and we have a fair supply of those.

Last edited:
I want a 6 inch black powder cannon for long range shooting .Our county just built a awesome new firing range 300 yards finally .I have one on my farm 440 yards that I use in the winter time only . These kids want to shoot but it sucks I can't let them shoot like we did when we grew up .I will get out my muzzleloaders and it takes more effort between shots for kids and more time but they still love shooting them .They are amazed to shoot them with the smoke and how accurate they are to 300 yards .I have scopes on most of them.I see no end soon for the ammo and reloading supplies .

Yeah I slowed down about November-ish, had stayed strong and even increased my tactical shooting until then. The real kicker for me was 7.62x39 price finally skyrocketing from 28cpr to 60cpr. I still shoot some but I've slowed, im also in the middle of a few builds so I'm at a natural low point just do to rifles being unscoped, torn apart etc. which is pretty good timing really.

I thought about a cannon I think that would be really cool.

I want a 6 inch black powder cannon for long range shooting .Our county just built a awesome new firing range 300 yards finally .I have one on my farm 440 yards that I use in the winter time only . These kids want to shoot but it sucks I can't let them shoot like we did when we grew up .I will get out my muzzleloaders and it takes more effort between shots for kids and more time but they still love shooting them .They are amazed to shoot them with the smoke and how accurate they are to 300 yards .I have scopes on most of them.I see no end soon for the ammo and reloading supplies .
I hear you. I've been to a couple of re-enactment canon shoots, and they are fun.

I started reducing my shooting a little around 2000, really cut back in 2009, and a bit more of recent! Only shooting for load development, on three rifles and a handgun.....and some light load "plinking" ammo for the handguns!

I'll probably be shooting more in the future! memtb

We, sadly, have started to ration our modest stocks of components. Before we happily shot up to 150 rounds of centerfire per week, now we are down to 35-50. A big challenge is to find combinations that work, as the tried and proven combinations are not available. I recently bought 4.4 pounds of Vectan 8000 at Graf's and have started using it with .22-.250 75's, .243W 105's, 6.5-06 123's & 140's - V8000 should be good for .280 & .300W. Good record keeping is a must with keeping targets, notes, and recording data on spread sheets. Primers are counted by each piece vs. 100's.

Happily, I discovered a good sized stash of .45 Auto stuff so the 1911 is going to be used, small powder charges help. We have lots of .22LR left over from the last shortage.

New load data is always appreciated.

It's those primers :(

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.