Are you settling on this 100 yard group?

I've been playing with my .28 nosler trying to ramp up some speeds. I've been testing out the 180 VLD. Just having fun ya know. I hit slight pressure at 87gr of N570 and 3200 FPS. I was hoping for 3200, so I was happy there. ES of 10fps. Here's a 9 shot group I just shot. Maybe 1-2 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool, but not get cold. The flyers on the left were shot #4 & #7 I think. The target is in 1" grids. Just curious how others feel about this group and if you would stop there or keep tinkering? Maybe the flyers are me? Maybe not, considering where the other 7 landed. Something to consider also. I've played with seating depth and this is tightest I've gotten also. Appreciate the responses and your reasonings! No right answers, just looking to hear how other people view things. 1200 yard steel rifle and 800 yards is my personal limit for game.

28 Nosler 26" 1-8 twist
ADG brass & 215M
87gr N570
Berger 180 VLD Hunt
3200 FPS
ES of 10. SD of 4.
View attachment 257813
Is this a 600 or 700 yard group? If so, than you are good to go to your 1200 yard mark. Nice group. When I get load data on my rifles, I dont shoot more than 3-5 round strands. Now after I get my load data and find out what my powder charge and seating depth is then I will do my 5-10 round stand to figure my drop chart. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Is this a 600 or 700 yard group? If so, than you are good to go to your 1200 yard mark. Nice group. When I get load data on my rifles, I dont shoot more than 3-5 round strands. Now after I get my load data and find out what my powder charge and seating depth is then I will do my 5-10 round stand to figure my drop chart. Hope this helps.

Thread Title

"Are you settling on this 100 yard group?"

I would step back to 600 yards and see what it does at the further range. If it is consistent and you can go back further, take it on out and see how it holds up at 1k, if possible. I will be honest, I don't shoot great at 100 yards, I start my loads at 200 yards. I find myself concentrating on shooting tiny groups and I tend to lose focus of mechanics of braking the shot. I'm more relaxed and concentrate on mechanics at two hundred. I'm strange like that.

I would step back to 600 yards and see what it does at the further range. If it is consistent and you can go back further, take it on out and see how it holds up at 1k, if possible. I will be honest, I don't shoot great at 100 yards, I start my loads at 200 yards. I find myself concentrating on shooting tiny groups and I tend to lose focus of mechanics of braking the shot. I'm more relaxed and concentrate on mechanics at two hundred. I'm strange like that.
If you are only referring to Female mechanics then 200 yards is too far..... remember...they may look good from far....but closer....be far from good! I prefer 6 FEET for this...then I'm more relaxed!

Try moving it back just slightly so that the center of the pad is centered on the trigger. Where do you place your left hand? You may have answered this already please forgive me if you have. Do you use a rear squeeze bag?

That really is a nice rig!!!🙂
Thanks for the tip! I don't run a rear squeeze bag. It's a rear wedge style bag, and I just lay my hand on the ground below it. And thank you! It was my "do it all dream gun", but I liked it so much that now I'm having another one built in 300 Norma hahaha.
Groups are great, but for me cold bore first round hits are paramount.

I would take that load and shoot paper at distance and see what the cold bore shots produce.

I would bet your gonna have a great recipe here.
Sounds good! I also 100% agree. The first shot is all I care about when I hit the range once I'm done tinkering with the load.
Let me clarify my cold bore map comment. I map 1 shot one day, take the same setup and target the next day and shoot 1. and do it again another day. I have noticed with many rifles that the cold bore 3 shot group is just slightly better than a 3 shot group fired in succession. Best of luck, Jason
Thank you for the recommendation and explanation!

Okay, so I did a dirty barrel cold bore shot at 700 yards. Then followed it up with 2 more shots about 1-2 minutes apart. I'll document the cold bore hit for future comparison. Slightest left to right breeze that I didn't adjust for since I just wanted to see my grouping. I'll bump my BC down to raise group to the right height. So 4 1/2" group at 700 yards gives me .64 MOA. Including the cold bore, so things are shaping up decent 👍
IMG_9807 2.jpeg
IMG_9809.jpeg

Okay, so I did a dirty barrel cold bore shot at 700 yards. Then followed it up with 2 more shots about 1-2 minutes apart. I'll document the cold bore hit for future comparison. Slightest left to right breeze that I didn't adjust for since I just wanted to see my grouping. I'll bump my BC down to raise group to the right height. So 4 1/2" group at 700 yards gives me .64 MOA. Including the cold bore, so things are shaping up decent 👍
View attachment 258001View attachment 258003
Send It

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.