Are you settling on this 100 yard group?

Two shots slightly left of a very nice, round group? I'm thinking you are just seeing the results of a slight wind change & what you have is actually quite good. I'm more concerned you had slight pressure signs but decided to stay at that powder level? Maybe I read it wrong. Pressure won't be less on a warmer day...

Thank you for the input!! I know I'm treading a fine line with speed/pressure and accuracy for sure. But the ES and SD's are soooo good up there too haha. And thank you for mentioning the trigger control as well. I do notice on some shots, my recoil takes me further left off the target than others. Right handed shooter.
Do you wrap your hand around the grip? You could be torquing it (gripping it to tight and pushing left). You could also have a little to much figure in the trigger. Just some thoughts. Your SD and ES are good and the group looks fairly consistent other than the left fade and if you take out the two shots to the extreme left that is a 1/2 moa seven shot group. If your not getting pressure signs I'd adjust my grip and run with it.

what are the rifle specs
It's a custom build from Hells Canyon Armory on a Lone peak Fuzion TI action. I'll throw up a picture.
Is this off bags or a lead sled? What was the position of the rifle butt against your shoulder? Did you wrap your thumb over the pistol grip. It looks like a torque thing to me....shoot 3 shot groups at 300 and 600 and you'll have your answer.
this is off of a front bipod and rear bag. I don't wrap my thumb and I lift the butt slightly and let it seat into the pocket of shoulder on it's way down to the bag.
Two shots slightly left of a very nice, round group? I'm thinking you are just seeing the results of a slight wind change & what you have is actually quite good. I'm more concerned you had slight pressure signs but decided to stay at that powder level? Maybe I read it wrong. Pressure won't be less on a warmer day...
I had a super faint ejector mark at a few rounds at 87.5gr. during testing. 87gr. gives me a slight bolt click at the top.
You can spend a lot of barrel life and reloading components chasing 1/4 inch-1/2 tighter group.

I would shoot it at 600 or 1000, and it stays around 3/4 MOA which it should with that ES, I would run with that.
You're 100% right. And I've been doing that recently. I think I'm just going to stretch it out and group it. See what it does.
Do you wrap your hand around the grip? You could be torquing it (gripping it to tight and pushing left). You could also have a little to much figure in the trigger. Just some thoughts. Your SD and ES are good and the group looks fairly consistent other than the left fade and if you take out the two shots to the extreme left that is a 1/2 moa seven shot group. If your not getting pressure signs I'd adjust my grip and run with it.
I don't wrap my thumb at all. The stock has a big palm swell and I just lay my thumb up behind the bolt. I do shoot with the part of my finger just in front of the first crease. Like the right edge of the trigger would be touching the crease of my finger.

35206446-AEAB-4EC2-A63D-C4E34528137E.jpeg

Like the right edge of the trigger would be touching the crease of my finger.
Try moving it back just slightly so that the center of the pad is centered on the trigger. Where do you place your left hand? You may have answered this already please forgive me if you have. Do you use a rear squeeze bag?

That really is a nice rig!!!🙂

Nice build from a first class builder....I have that same stock and camo pattern on one of my rifles. I don't shoot nearly as much as a lot of folks, but try to get out regularly, and focus on quality practice. I know if I continue to shoot the same rifle and load over and over, eventually I'll get one that creeps out of the group. I'd I would have shot 5 into one nice bug hole, I would have likely never fired your 7th (the flyer to the left). This is especially true if my ES was low and up to my standards.
Kinda like the old saying, if u hang around a barber shop long enough you're gonna get a haircut. If you keep shooting, you're gonna get a creeper (my term for flyer).
I'd shoot a couple of 3 to 5 shot groups at longer distances and see what those look like. Good luck.

Nice rifle! I agree with other posts. That is a hot rod, I would keep to 3 shot groups as per es and sd have been established. My experience with the 180 vld in a custom 7Rum were 200 yard groups were identical to my 100 yard groups. Meaning 100 did not tell the whole story. I would also cold bore map 3 shot groups on 3 different days to get data on that. Very seldom will you need a follow up shot with a power house like the 28nos so cold bore mapping is imperative. Also shoot long, that load may be very accurate out to 800 or so. Cheers, Jason

@7Rum Slayer good point on cold bore mapping.

Cold bore mapping is often overlooked !

Most people don't realize a cold bore shot can have a slightly different muzzle velocity then your "average muzzle velocity" taken over a several shot string.

Cold bore shot velocity is INCREDIBLY important if your shooting game at distance. One of my rifles has a consistent 25 FPS cold bore shot vs. average velocity.....This does make a difference in a 10 inch kill zone given field conditions and human error!

Cold bore mapping like 7Rum explained above takes several days of testing, i encourage long range hunters to do these tests. It can be an eye opener!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.