Votes: 948 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 368 18.7%
  • No, but I may join

Votes: 20 1.0%
  • No way, are you kidding?

Votes: 669 34.0%

• Total voters
I much prefer the Craiglist's.....extra hookers, extra perverts, extra everything. MySpace is better for being picked up by creepy people that like the same gender if your a young boy.

Facebook is to PC for me.....and if you are just trying for a hook-up, they actually have to 'like you'. What the @#$%!!!! is up with that?

Scott

I always hear a lot of people say how bad Facebook and other social network sites are.

Now, if someone would be so kind, can you please tell me how Facebook, or another social network site, can be so bad if you aren't stupid enough to put way too much information on it and thus make it available to just about anybody?

I feel that a Facebook account, and the related posts, is only what you make it. You can reveal you whole life's history and your daily actions in addition to all of your very personal information if you are crazy enough to do so. If you don't put info on it other than what you are willing for the whole world to see, then what is it about Facebook and similar sites that is so damaging and terrible?

You can put way too much info on LongRangeHunting if you are goofy enough and to my way of thinking that is no different than putting way too much info on one of the social network sites.

This is an age wherein electronic communication is constantly changing. If you don't believe it just ask the post office why their mail delivery is down from what it used to be. Young people especially nowdays live by their computers and especially their phones. In my case I have kids, grandkids and friends that thrive on electronic gadgets and thus texting, email, and the dreaded Facebook are a way to communicate with them on a level that they like and understand. Try asking your granddaughter to communicate with you only by letters or a phone call and you'll hear from her way less often than if you use her preferred methods.

I can remember when there were no cell phones and also when they first became available. I heard all about how bad they were and all of the supposed horror stories about them but guess what, the vast majority of people now have and use a cell phone. I'd be lost without mine and I'm glad the old party line phones faded into oblivion. I can also say the same thing about computers as I had one of the original Radio Shack #1 computers and heard from then on about their limitations and that they were no good and would never amount to anything, and now........guess what......you're reading this on one of those newfangled contraptions.

I guess to each his own but I'd still like to know if there is something I don't know about a social networking site that can do so much harm if one is smart enough about what they put on it and who they even allow to see what they put on line.

Dick, you always sound so smart. lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Last edited:
Wow....click it if your brave. Used the word "flat screen" in the search box of Craigslist, and this was in the top five of the results.

>>>>> Not a good idea <<<<<

That was just one example of why to stay away from these websites. Don't think any other explaination is needed. But since I mentioned MySpace, I'll defend my position on that as well.............

Here's an article from a well known paper: <<<<< Boston Herald -MySpace perverts >>>>>

One article might just be a fluke, so here's another: >>>>> Associated <<<<<

I don't think I'm going to go on Facebook, as I just don't want to.......

Not sure how anyone could compare these types of "social networking" websites to cell phones, party line type of land line communications, or even Radio Shack TRS-80 computers from 1981-ish time frame.....but I guess if your reaching for that "I-need-to-compare-it-to-something" to justify it, it'll work-just not very well.

I did find that you were correct about the amount of information that is put on these type of website/forums. Way too much info is often shared.... Thanks for the reminder, but at least no one has contacted me via this website to meet them in the back of a truckstop............................

Scott

The point I was trying to make, and evidently the point got lost in the translation, was that when something new or different comes out people tend to be scared/afraid of it and don't understand it nor do they know how to use it so a lot of them just give it a bad rep. Then there are those that use the new item wrong and thus give it a bad name.

The examples you gave of perverts only reinforces my statement that people are stupid and put too much info on social network sites and don't know how it should be set up. I know people that have several hundred "friends" on Facebook and yet probably less than a handfull of those are actual people the user knows and are really his or her face to face friends or family. Building a friends list just for the numbers is just asking for trouble and trouble is often what people end up with.

The only way somebody on Facebook can come into contact with a very questionable person is if they use their account wrong, set it up wrong and just plain repeatedly do stupid things. I will say though, that a lot of problems come from kids that don't yet have common sense doing things on the internet without their parent's knowledge. Just like a Facebook account should be handled properly I also believe that parents should know what their kids are doing on the web.

I still stand by my original statement and that is that Facebook is what you make it. It's just that simple. Allow anybody to see everything and you're asking for trouble. Allow virtually anybody to be a "friend" is asking for trouble. Use it smart, think about what you're doing and use the privacy controls the way you should and it's just as safe as this site.

I'm not trying to talk anybody into using Facebook nor am I trying to force them to, I'm just stating a fact and that is that if you use it correctly Facebook can be a great way to keep up to date and in contact with family and friends. There are some well know professionals on this site that are on Facebook and their pages are run correctly and they have no problems. Use Facebook wrong and it can mean serious consequences just like using an automobile wrong. Use either one correctly and it ends up being a nice experience.

The wife has a FB account. She is a "farmer", has 4 farms.

Last week, someone hacked their site and got lotsa e-mail addys. We got 55 e-mails in 10 minutes, adds for skin-care, massages, cars, carpetting, girls with special talents, etc.

. She was on FB again today, but we only got 4 unwanted e-mails. Maybe they'll get it fixed soon.

Growing up I remember always hearing adults talking about how important it was to pass our hunting, fishing and trapping traditions on to the next generation.

With social media dominating the way 90% of young americans communicate, I don't really see a better way to get young outdoor enthusiasts interested in long range shooting / hunting than exposing then to it via a social media outlet.

This is definitely my favorite shooting site it may not the easiest site to find for an 18 year old kid who wants to learn how to kill elk that he always sees cross canyon @ 700 yards.

I rarely post here, but I've read thousands of threads and learned a ton from the experts who shared their shooting experience and knowledge.

Back to the FB Page it's a great way to create awareness for LRH and introduce young people to an online community that they may have never found on their own. The RMEF currently has 14,903 friends on it's FB page....

Back to the FB Page it's a great way to create awareness for LRH and introduce young people to an online community that they may have never found on their own. The RMEF currently has 14,903 friends on it's FB page....

BINGO ! ! !

gun) gun) gun) gun)​

Growing up I remember always hearing adults talking about how important it was to pass our hunting, fishing and trapping traditions on to the next generation.

With social media dominating the way 90% of young americans communicate, I don't really see a better way to get young outdoor enthusiasts interested in long range shooting / hunting than exposing then to it via a social media outlet.

This is definitely my favorite shooting site it may not the easiest site to find for an 18 year old kid who wants to learn how to kill elk that he always sees cross canyon @ 700 yards.

I rarely post here, but I've read thousands of threads and learned a ton from the experts who shared their shooting experience and knowledge.

As much as I despise Facebook and similar sites this post hits the nail on the head!!! Unless we want to be a small hand full of grouchy old geezers sitting over in our special little corner of the internet with no political weight in the regulation of what we love to do then new blood needs to be added and taught. My generation would not be on LRH if guys like Buffalobob and royinidaho and many others didn't step up in their generation and got on the internet and brought us along!!!

Last edited:
I think I'm getting the drift of this thread, DUH!

I might be old but, I'm slow:rolleyes:

When the cat gets out of the bag, so to speak, as is happening with LRH.com there are choices to be made.

These choices will be critical to the 'movement' or membership and most critically the theme of the site. Management decisions will be key.

There will be increased challenges as the spectrum of members widens. Careful, deliberative decisions will have to be made.

As Yogi Berra said, When you come to a fork in the road, take it!. (I love that!!)

LRH appears to be at a fork.

I have a personal saying when I'm at a critical point in growth/progress and its time for a decision. This decision will be really really right or, it will be really really wrong."

So far these decisions have been really really right.

Not making the decision is actually making the decision and usually looses one's direction/control/etc.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, we spend the rest of our days bumping our butts on the rocks of the shore. (my little tidbit:))
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures. (Italics added:rolleyes:)

Good decisions provide for subsequent good decisions. (its been that way since Adam)

Am I waxing filosofical or what.:rolleyes: It's gonna be a good day.

Let'er rip. Whichever way it goes, "I'm in!" (much to the chagrin of a few:))

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.