Are you gonna shoot LR at game this year?

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
So I know this is a loaded question but here it is anyway: If the situation presents where you can attempt to smack a marginal critter out say, beyond 800 yds will you do it? I know there are self-imposed limits for all of us as hunters but whats yours if the conditions/situation is right? I know most guys will shoot long on trophys, but this could be a meat buck, doe, anything else or the trophy tag you've been waithing for.
Chris
Benchmark

Yes absolutely, if the conditions are right. I've got two animals over 900 yards. The conditions were right, wind was zero. With my 7 mag I've shot on targets out to 1900 yards. I would limit my shots to around 1,000 yards. I've got a 338 lapua improved coming soon that may change that though.

With excellent conditions, I would not shy away from an 800 to 1200 yard shot on game. However, my own personal rule is to get as close as I can before setting up the shot.

Honestly, It would depend on the situation...sitting behind the computer - now - i say yes i would, but in real world circumstances, I have the feeling that i always need to get closer if possible.

If i have no chance of getting closer and there is 5 MPH wind or less, i will let er' rip.

Yes, given the conditions classify the shot as high probability and I can't close the gap. I've shot deer out to 1000(998) yards. Coyotes to 1200 yards. I don't discriminate on taking the shot based on whether the animal is a trophy or not. Actually, the opposite tends to be the case with me with really nice animals. Interestingly, my best mule deer and whitetail were initially high probability shots, approximately 1000 and 800 yards away, respectively. I ended up taking both under 300 yards because I felt the the probability of getting closer was higher. I think one of the biggest benefits of developing long range skills is that you encounter more, and better animals because of the longer range vantage points chosen. You can frequently get closer.

My personal LR limit on game is 500 yards. The reason being is my lack of confidence and experience shooting beyond that distance at this time. A man has to know his limitations. :)

However, and that is something we tend to forget. Shooting LR (at whatever distance you consider LR) will make you a better marksman and thus a better hunter at any range.

I try to practice for it and, like stated previously, set myself in spots for it. I have shot a couple animals over 1000, one quite a bit further than, but secretly hope to get within 500. That way I feel my hit probablility is really high in most any condition. If the conditions are right then I won't hesitate on pulling the trigger on one twice that range. This year might be different, I have gotten out of my groove and haven't shot nearly as often as I should be. I also still don't have my ELR rig lined out. I shot it out to 1200 last week and was not too happy with my results. The gun was shooting great, it was all me. Bad wind, horrible mirage, and an unexperienced spotter sure didn't help so I called the ball and didn't want to waist any more rounds.

I am 2 for 2 on bull elk while hunting public land in Colorado. I contribute both of those to being able to be accurate at long ranges. I have a buddy that goes every year and last year passed on a large bull at what he said must have been 400 yards. While he didn't feel confortable with that range, I wish I could get one in that close!

Probably not. I'm not opposed to long shots but "the right conditions" are rare. I prepare for longer shots like I prepare for a flat tire. I have what I need and know how to use it but I just as soon not.

Not this fall. I am a very experienced rifle shooter but not a very experienced long range shooter...yet. I will be sticking to my normal ranges until my skills develop to take longer shots. Fortunately I am pretty good at closing the gap.

If the conditions are right AND I just cannot get any closer, then yes, I will take a long distance shot. For me personally it has just been so rare for both of those conditions to line up. The longest I have ever shot was 630 yards at an elk.

Based on my own experience and rifles capability I think I could ethically shoot an animal out to about 1,100 yards... but knowing myself I would likely try and stalk closer. The stars would really have to align with perfect conditions for me to shoot an animal out really far.

OK, I'll bite. No. I say this for a few reasons. 1. The rifle I'll be using has yet to be built. 2. I've shot to 1k but personally I'm not comfortable shooting at an animal past 600. 3. I drew a cow tag, it's a straight meat hunt. 4. I'm a hunter, I will close the gap until I know I can't. 5. If I ever made a bad shot, I'd probably get kicked out of elk camp.

I like to play the odds, so I do what I can to eliminate the variables.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.