Are the vx6hds options worth the cost?

eod.mickelson

I'm in the market for a new scope for my tikka 7mm mag. I'm debating between the vx5 and vx6 hd. The biggest thing bringing me back to the vx6 is the ability to get an illuminated windplex or t-moa reticle and the exposed locking wind turret. However, I'm not convinced those features are worth the extra $. Does anybody run the vx5hd with illuminated fire dot and just dial windage br removing the cap? Or does one really need an illuminated reticle? Any opinions would be welcomed!

Or is there an optic I'm not seeing that has locking turrets and illuminated reticle for around the same price point?

I bought an Optika6 and a VX6, both illuminated, this past year. They both are illuminated. I'm very pleased with both scopes and can't imagine not having illumination on a hunting scope.

Great thread. I own 3 VX5HDs and had a VX6HD with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I sold the VX6HD for a few reasons:

1) the TMOA reticle was not for me. I prefer the thicker firedot duplex in my VX5s for hunting.

2) I was actually not a fan of the zero lock windage. I don't dial for windage and saw it as an unnecessary feature that actually was slightly inconvenient. If sighting in and you make a windage adjustment, you have to always get out the Allen and readjust the turret and lock it down to get it back to zero. Taking off the cap, making an adjustment and screwing cap back on is much easier. I don't dial for windage.

3)The throw lever was nice and I bought the exact same throw levers for my VX5HDs from Optics Planet

4) The aluminum scope caps were nice but not a big deal to me. I actually prefer a scope cover I just take off when I hunt.

5) I couldn't see any difference in the glass between the VX5 or VX6HD

6) I think the eye box is slightly larger and more forgiving on the VX5HD.

So with all this said, I think the VX5HD is as good of a scope for less money.

Same glass in the VX5 and VX6
If shooting past 600 yards the firedot reticle is too thick for smaller targets, I have several VX5's but when I get to the VX6 price range I go with March scopes.

I like an illuminated reticle, I like the TMOA reticle.

I've got both, I can live without either of those if necessary. The VX5 is a very usable optic. So is the VX6.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.