Are the new pointed SMK usable on critters?

toddc

Are these penciling or acting more like the old style SMK and Bergers? The BC on these things appears to be very impressive. Makes me want to build a new 22, 6MM, 6.5MM and 7MM.

I've ran smk bullets on coyote and deer for years and years. My wife took a huge cow elk with 150 smk in a 308. If you make a good shot they seem to work just fine. I have yet to take a deer with the smk pointed bullets as I've pretty well switched everything over to bergers. But I'm sure they will work just fine too.

Some guys that shoot Bergers go through them and make sure the tips are open and clear by inserting a small pick or drill. A closed or clogged tip is a pencil hole waiting to happen IMO.

Todd, are you sure you don't mean the new tipped matchkings?
Don't think sierra sells a SMK that they point. If they do it's new to me. There are guys that purchase a special die and do that themselves, but think if you are doing that and hunting with them you are asking for trouble.

Yes some of the Sierras are now pointed (closed meplat) I wish they didnt do it so we could use them for hunting. Their new 230 has a much higher BC than the Berger 230 and they seem to shoot as well.

Ive pointed stuff before. Time to unpoint looks like. Have to test BC and see if its worthwhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.