Are the CSI Shows right?

Dean2

I often see tv shows where the lab traces the registration on a pistol or rifle to track down the owner. Even here in Canada you can't trace a long gun as none of them are registered. Legally owned handguns are registered and can be traced to the last owner. However, most pistols used in crimes aren't registered at all or in a very small number of cases were stolen from the legal owner. I am curious if long guns and handguns are in fact registered and traceable in the States like the csi type shows claim or is it just more tv bs? Thanks.

If it has a serial number, it is traced from manufacturers to point of sale.

Springfield sold it to x distributor, x distributor sold it to x store, x store sold it to x human, etc until there is no more proof.

Well....to purchase from a dealer the rifle shotgun or pistol have to be registered thru FBI background checks.....in some states even private parties are supposed fo run background checks or no private party sells at all.....
So it is possible to trace it back to the last known owner by receipts........but that doesnt tell you about secondary private sales....
Sooner or later we may need fo move all of our long guns into Canada......lol....

Well....to purchase from a dealer the rifle shotgun or pistol have to be registered thru FBI background checks.....in some states even private parties are supposed fo run background checks or no private party sells at all.....
So it is possible to trace it back to the last known owner by receipts........but that doesnt tell you about secondary private sales....
Sooner or later we may need fo move all of our long guns into Canada......lol....

When you purchase a fire arm, nothing is registered. When they call in for your NICs check, the only info that is given is your personal info and what type of firearm it is. They do not give the make model serial number. FFL holders are required to keep 4473s for X amount of years.

When you purchase a fire arm, nothing is registered. When they call in for your NICs check, the only info that is given is your personal info and what type of firearm it is. They do not give the make model serial number. FFL holders are required to keep 4473s for X amount of years.
The BATFE then pays a visit to the local gun store owner and requires him to produce the 4473.

More and more 4473's are being done electronically, do you really think the BATFE isn't cataloguing those?

morning, the bast ard's at the gestopo sp CENTRAL due keep
records on long guns and pistol's. reference: I've
known a smithy who sold an ar to an older man. filled out
the 4473. the older man sold the ar to another man. that ar
ended up in mexico, was stolen from the last owner.
under obummer and eric holder weapons
agreement fast and furious. the ar was traced back to my
smithy. the gestopo visited the smithy for info. everything
was done by the gestopo laws. justme gbot tum

Just drama for TV, not real. I was an FFL holder back in 1977 and 1978. When I closed the business, I was directed to send all 4473 to ATF. I'm not sure what happens to them at that point, but I was told that when Sears stopped selling guns, they shipped 7 tractor trailer loads of 4473 to the ATF. I doubt anyone has the time to sort through the returned 4473 and do anything with them. If it is known where a firearm was purchased (Dealer) and what year, it is possible to track down the purchaser. Not sure you can just punch a serial # in the computer and learn who purchased it. If it was reported stolen, and entered in NCIC, the reporting person's name can be listed, but if he is the third or fourth owner of the gun, it would be very hard to trace back to the original owner. I could be wrong....

Last edited:
Not sure you can just punch a serial # in the computer and learn who purchased it. If it was reported stolen, and entered in NCIC, the reporting person's name can be listed, but if he is the third or fourth owner of the gun, it would be very hard to trace back to the original owner. I could be wrong....

You're NOT wrong. When I request a serial number check through LINK/NCIC on a firearm (or any item with a serial number for that matter) through our dispatch center we are only informed of either "No Record Found" or a "Hit" based on the firearm/item being entered into NCIC as Stolen or Lost. The only information returned pertaining to a person is the victim/owner of the property as listed on the Uniform Offense Report.....which may or may not be the original purchaser.

You're NOT wrong. When I request a serial number check through LINK/NCIC on a firearm (or any item with a serial number for that matter) through our dispatch center we are only informed of either "No Record Found" or a "Hit" based on the firearm/item being entered into NCIC as Stolen or Lost. The only information returned pertaining to a person is the victim/owner of the property as listed on the Uniform Offense Report.....which may or may not be the original purchaser.

Yes, I agree. After over 40 years in Law Enforcement, I haven't seen a whole lot of advances in the tracking of firearms. I have found also, that at least 90% of firearms taken in a crime, either theft, auto burglary, or residence burglary, the victim rarely knows the serial number of the weapon, so it is not entered in the computer. Most victims couldn't even identify what the brand was, they say "Oh it looks like that one you're carrying", or other vague description.
30 years with NOPD, I investigated hundreds of residence and auto burglaries, and the lack of knowledge by so called "responsible gunowners" would leave me shaking my head.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. After over 40 years in Law Enforcement, I haven't seen a whole lot of advances in the tracking of firearms. I have found also, that at least 90% of firearms taken in a crime, either theft, auto burglary, or residence burglary, the victim rarely knows the serial number of the weapon, so it is not entered in the computer. Most victims couldn't even identify what the brand was, they say "Oh it looks like that one you're carrying", or other vague description.
30 years with NOPD, I investigated hundreds of residence and auto burglaries, and the lack of knowledge by so called "responsible gunowners" would leave me shaking my head.

Brother, truer words were NEVER spoken!
......and it's ALWAYS those same people that couldn't provide the basic, necessary information that would say, "Well, I made a report but he/she (insert officer/deputy name here) DIDN'T DO ANYTHING".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.