Are the best presses for minimal run-out necessary?

I did a review on this site for the MEC Marksmans press and using the same dies and loading steps, it had better runout than my RCBS press.

It is not the press that determines concentricity, thee press has nothing to do with it - it is only the dies - buy the best dies you can.

I'm not so sure that dies are the only contributor to minimizing runout. I do not like "C" presses due to spring in them that causes misalignment; especially with the longer, and the magnum casings. Also I believe that process in prepping brass has a lot to do with runout, as well as the quality of the brass. If the neck dimensions are not concentric to begin with, I do not think that a die will remove that inconsistency.

Assuming the case neck thickness is uniform (it never is...that's why we sort em with our case neck mic tool),
and our chambers are concentric and round...
run-out is created in the reloading process...the more run-out the more something is being forced, pushed/dragged out of line...
the concepts incorporated in the CoAx press and forester dies mean that guys knew there were problems with run-out. Some one set out to correct it...it was Forrester....floating shell holder, floating die holder, neck supported neck expansion and supported bullet seating....all this to eliminate the possibility of forcing things out of line...
The other presses and dies can be tweaked and tuned....
I personally hate rebuilding something to get it to perform the way it should have performed right out of the box....
The next step up from a Co-ax press is benchresters presses and hand dies from Wilson, Fred Sinclair etc.

I've had my "Chucker" since '71 so it has a few miles on the clock. Still does weel. I have recently relegated it to the "grunt" work of sizing only. I do rotate the case 90 degrees to compensate for possible "tweaks" to the case. I use a M.E.C. metalic press with a floating shell holder for the seating process. After seating, I spot check a batch for concentricity. I rarely find any needing adjustments. For my handgun work, the "chucker" works just fine.

I have a friend who's getting back into reloading for long range shooting. He was asking me about presses and I advised him to get a Co-Ax or a Rockchucker supreme to help minimize run-out on his loads. He asked me if he needs a newer and better press since he has the Hornady concentricity gauge/tool that he can use to correct any misalignment in the bullet when seating. I wasn't sure how to answer and was wondering if you all had an answer. He's has a 10 year old cast Lee press and said he use to straighten all his bullets with the Hornady tool when he use to reload. Would this negate th need for him to buy a better press?
I use an RCBS summit press with Forster micrometer die run out is usually with in

It is not the press that determines concentricity, thee press has nothing to do with it - it is only the dies - buy the best dies you can.

CatShooter Ol Buddy, Did I spend too much on my first die set? :)

Wst8fOL.jpg

*munches popcorn and starts to snicker*
wow, I have never seen such a diverse set of posts. FYI, I have heard that RCBS will bushing your Rockchuckers to make them like new. this would go with any other press with lots of slop. I once worked for a machine shop where 90% of us were hunters and reloaders. you should have seen the precision single stages we all had. if it had problems with offset, consentricity, run out, ram was out of round and all kinds of stuff. it got fixed. we bushinged the bodies with brass bushings, put grease fittings on the bodies, and did some things I am still in awe of. I kind of wish I had not sold that Redding O-press.
I take real exception to Lee equipment. I have had a boat load of it and found Lee to be utterly inferior. I think the Lee Loaders my father had made better ammo than anything else they made.
Most every other press I have had, tried, used or helped friends with was very decent. my personal preference is the Dillon Equipment. not to say I have never used anything else, I have. RCBS was good stuff. I think for a single stage that Redding is better. the best single stage I ever used was a C&H. I still have that boat anchor set up for 25 ACP and 32 ACP. for turrets Hollywood is the best, Redding comes in second, RCBS third.
as for new presses that I have encountered/used.. the top of the heap has to be the Iron Press from Hornady. If I had the spare money for it and did not have the C&H I wold buy one. the Co-Ax from forster.. I just do not like it. personal thing about the case holder that makes me cringe. I do not trust C-presses. I've broken C-presses resizing anything big like 40-85, 45-70, 300 win, RUM's, GIBBS, and the alike.

I think case prep is #1, Dies#2 and the press third. My reason is I can load straight ammo with RCBS dies with fully prepped brass and a 50 year old press. I cannot load straight ammo with Forster or Redding dies and bad brass. I can load nearly benchrest grade ammo with the old press, fully prepped brass and great dies.

Can someone tell me the difference of having .010-.020 ram "slop" in an older press vs .010-.020 of shell holder "float" in a co-ax.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.