Are the .338s becoming pointless?

I found a DEAL on some 300 UM Norma brass, and am settling on the 270 grain Hornady ELD-X for the best combination of speed and Ballistic coefficient, so I'll be making some .338 Edge ammo here soon. IMR 8831 and US869 have shown best accuracy potential so far, but that may change with the bullet. I have Norma N570, Retumbo, H1000, and Accurate 8700, and Reloader 50 that may fill the bill if need be. I got just under 3100 f/s on the first outing out of the 27" Brux 9 1/2 twist barrel with Hornady 285 grain match bullets without trying too hard. The gun actually shot 250 grain Sierra Game Kings better, so we'll see what the 270 Hornady's do. I'll use them until they give me a reason not to. Just can't see paying $1 each for 300 grain Bergers when I don't plan on shooting further than 5 or 600 yards anyway. I think Hornady lists the BC of the 270gr at .757, which might be a little generous, but well capable of doing what I need it to do, especially if I am getting 300 f/s more velocity for shooting 30 grains less weight. 3200 f/s with the 270gr RLD-X should be about cruising speed. I don't feel like I really need to push it.

I love the .338 caliber but at my age can do without the added recoil therefore I am shooting the .300 WSM now.
High-discharge Kahn-Trol self-timing brake takes my Edge to MAYBE what a 7 Mag might be with a 140 or 150 grain bullet. The design does not amplify the sound for the shooter, either, btw. (Now I didn't say bystanders would have the same experience!)

I found a DEAL on some 300 UM Norma brass, and am settling on the 270 grain Hornady ELD-X for the best combination of speed and Ballistic coefficient, so I'll be making some .338 Edge ammo here soon. IMR 8831 and US869 have shown best accuracy potential so far, but that may change with the bullet. I have Norma N570, Retumbo, H1000, and Accurate 8700, and Reloader 50 that may fill the bill if need be. I got just under 3100 f/s on the first outing out of the 27" Brux 9 1/2 twist barrel with Hornady 285 grain match bullets without trying too hard. The gun actually shot 250 grain Sierra Game Kings better, so we'll see what the 270 Hornady's do. I'll use them until they give me a reason not to. Just can't see paying $1 each for 300 grain Bergers when I don't plan on shooting further than 5 or 600 yards anyway. I think Hornady lists the BC of the 270gr at .757, which might be a little generous, but well capable of doing what I need it to do, especially if I am getting 300 f/s more velocity for shooting 30 grains less weight. 3200 f/s with the 270gr RLD-X should be about cruising speed. I don't feel like I really need to push it.
Good luck with the 270s. I tried them in my edge and they only shot ok. Tried h1000, r33, r26 and n570. 33 and 570 seem waaaay too slow for that bullet

Good luck with the 270s. I tried them in my edge and they only shot ok. Tried h1000, r33, r26 and n570. 33 and 570 seem waaaay too slow for that bullet
Yeah, I have RL33, also. Forgot about those. The ELD-X likes a particular jump distance in general, which may render my magazine useless.

It's funny because I got THE BEST accuracy from 8831 and US869 using 250gr Game Kings. Now I will admit that I didn't chrono those loads, and I will speculate they were probably slow. I will, however, gladly take accuracy over an extra 100 f/s. After all, it IS a .338 Edge... I think there would be plenty of distance and energy there regardless of powder choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts