Are the .338s becoming pointless?

She's a Beauty. Haven't seen any available yet. Been looking. Any idea when they'll become available ?

It's a brand new bullet, I just got the first 100 pcs ever made and it's going moose hunting tonight in the 300 LRC .... 338 Lapua/Norma case shortened to 2" for use in Rem 700 short actions
649F7124-F116-4639-8576-D39D6022A889.jpeg

It's a brand new bullet, I just got the first 100 pcs ever made and it's going moose hunting tonight in the 300 LRC .... 338 Lapua/Norma case shortened to 2" for use in Rem 700 short actions View attachment 215377
Still seems like it'd be too long for a SA 700. Looks like that bullet is pretty deep in the case. What's the OAL of that cartridge when the bullet seated for maximum case capacity ? Did I mention, I love that bullet ?

I have been pretty interested in the LRC. Who builds those actions? Pierce Engineering? I wanted to build one in a medium length action. What is the case capacity? Is RCC making the brass for you?

Each cartridge has it's place. one is no better than the other if used under the right circumstance.

A 338 would not be usable for squirrel hunting just like a 22 Long rifle would not be recommended for elk. the 338 is at home and in it's element hunting elk size game at distances beyond the range of many smaller cartridges. the problem with bigger cartridges/diameter bullets, is that most people cant take advantage of the extra range while hunting. so they are not used to there limit.

No matter how good the BC"s are or how much downrange energy a cartridge has, you still have to place the shot where it counts. If you are shooting at steel then it doesn't matter what cartridge you are using as long as you ring the steel.

In my opinion, there are no obsolete cartridges. Just the ones that are used improperly and to much is expected of them. To much emphasis is placed on BC's and velocity instead of performance for the intended and proper use. Shot placement and shooter skill is still the most important thing in my opinion, and the proper choice of weapons for the intended use.

Tell someone that their favorite rifle/cartridge is obsolete, and they will tell you how wrong you are because they have had nothing but success with it. :)

J E CUSTOM
Outstanding post and truly stated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.