Are the .338s becoming pointless?

Calvin45

Not looking to offend or claim they're not effective, BUT...it used to be that the .338 lapua was regarded as in a league apart compared to .300 and 7mms because of the bcs on the 338 bullets. Now this is definitely a thing of the past, with high .7 and even .8 range g1 bc 7mm and .308" bullets that can be driven faster all things equal For true extreme range the big .375s are dominant. For tactical purposes all of the above are way more than adequate antipersonell rounds, body armour or not. None of the above are truly suitable anti material caliber. The way it seems now is that the .33s don't have an advantage over the 7 and 30 trajectory wise and can't match the 375s out of similar size rifles. Nothing wrong with .338 cartridges but not a whole lot I see that would make me choose one with things as they are now. Show me if I'm wrong!

Absolutely not. My 338 rum is one the most accurate and easy to develop rifles I've ever worked with. It's fairly light long range rig at 10.5# ready to hunt. Capable of 1/4moa groupings, shooter ability depends upon how it shoots. The energy and ballistics are only rivaled by 230-245 bergers running a fair bit faster. The 338 rum with 300s @ 2830 fps has less felt recoil than the 300 norma improved pushing 245s @ 2950. Rifles weigh close to Same #.

They aren't pointless they are still the best combo of BC, MASS, and SPEED. But after you learn and shoot awhile you find they aren't necessary for long range hunting, and aren't much fun to shoot at the range. I've got rid of all my big 30 cal and 338 mags in favor of 7mm and smaller which work fine for me out to 1k. 338's will always be better for ELR.

I personally am a huge 338 guy.. i believe they are without a question the perfect combination for powder used/performance gained out of all of them..

easy bore to tune ,, big mass , big frontal area, high bc etc.

granted alot of folks just cant shoot em and are soft shouldered .... the trend is smaller and smaller and smaller.

Ill take a 338 any day of the week and twice on sunday over them all!!

I aspire to having a .338. I'm a big 7mm fan but I gotta admit just about any .338 anchors elk better than most 7's. The heavy .30's do a great job but I am in the camp of having just a bit more than necessary. It's like having an ace up your sleeve imo. 375's are awesome but ridiculously expensive.

the 30 and 7mm even the 6.5s have all had pretty big advancement in bullet designs in the last couple years that and the trend to use smaller and smaller calibers in competition have led people in that direction. we are still shooting the same 338 bullets we were 10-15 yrs ago, same weights and bc with very little advancement.
I will always take a 338 with lower bc for long range or large/dangerous game. they just kill better

I think the advantage of the 338s is in the extra bullet diameter and weight, coupled with the excellent ballistics. No 7mm or 308 magnum is going to push a 250-300 grain bullet. 7s top out at 195, and the 308s at 245. And thats pushing it with special twist rates. An off the shelf 338 Lapua or 338 RUM will handle the 250s and up. Want to use the heavies in a 7 or 308 you are kinda limited to at least a custom barrel, and while you are at it may as well true the action, and extend the magazine box, and bed it to a chassis or McMillan and and and.

Each cartridge has it's place. one is no better than the other if used under the right circumstance.

A 338 would not be usable for squirrel hunting just like a 22 Long rifle would not be recommended for elk. the 338 is at home and in it's element hunting elk size game at distances beyond the range of many smaller cartridges. the problem with bigger cartridges/diameter bullets, is that most people cant take advantage of the extra range while hunting. so they are not used to there limit.

No matter how good the BC"s are or how much downrange energy a cartridge has, you still have to place the shot where it counts. If you are shooting at steel then it doesn't matter what cartridge you are using as long as you ring the steel.

In my opinion, there are no obsolete cartridges. Just the ones that are used improperly and to much is expected of them. To much emphasis is placed on BC's and velocity instead of performance for the intended and proper use. Shot placement and shooter skill is still the most important thing in my opinion, and the proper choice of weapons for the intended use.

Tell someone that their favorite rifle/cartridge is obsolete, and they will tell you how wrong you are because they have had nothing but success with it. :)

J E CUSTOM

I think the 338 lapua IS a league apart in some ways. You are only wrong if you cannot match the accuracy of the hyped newcomers with a dialed in 338 round, which is quite possible because in the end, you have to dial in any recipe. The OP title though, for those that enjoy many different calibers, is much like asking a chef, "what is your favorite food" or a musician "what is your favorite song?" It's mostly for the inexperienced. I would guess a 1000 yard 308 master or 338 sniper, could articulate this much better. It's me, not you. 🤓

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.