Are solid/monolithic bullets more finicky than jacketed?

odoylerules

I was told this from a builder today. I'm starting to research things for a future .375 barrel (37XC for my Desert Tech). It's going to be for long range fun and competition, not hunting. I understand it's something you kinda have to decide ahead of time because of the big differences in twist rates and freebore setups.
I've read about how great Hammer bullets are and how easy to tune. That's why I was so confused when I heard that today.

Not all mono bullets are created equal, just like cup-n-core. The Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets I've used were easy to load for, not having to mess with seating depth. Where as Barnes (tsx, ttsx) and Hornady GMX took some playing around with. Other folks may have different experience with them. The Hammer and CEB seem to be softer copper/alloy.
If long (or extreme long) range is the goal your options are the 350 Matchking and then monos. Build it with a tight enough twist for the heaviest (longest) mono you may use. One of my barrels has an 8" twist to stabilize all the way up to the 425 grain Lazer.

I'm going 1:7 for my 375 ct. shooting strictly monos. Imo you have to spin the monos much faster than cup&core. I think that's one mistake some make with monos and then they just assume they are finicky to load for. Jim Boatright recommends sg of 3.0 for vld/uld style monos instead of the normal 1.5-1.7.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.