Are Rats small game?

bcworkman1983

I looked through the first three pages and didn't see any rat posts! So I decided to post this one. I love shooting rats at night. In my opinion the ATN Xsight 4k pro scope isn't good for anything else except shooting critters at night time. If you want to challenge your marksmanship skills, get you a tripod and try shooting rats in the head from 20 yards from a standing position. those little bastards are hard to kill.

Anyone else enjoy shooting rats?

Attachments

• rats1.jpg
    rats1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 333
  • rats2.jpg
    rats2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 276
My dad used to take me to work with him when I was a young boy in the 60's. He worked for Central of New Jersey Rail Road and was the Yard Master in a rail car transfer yard located in Mossic, & Taylor PA. There was grain spilled out on the tracks and the Lackawanna River was right next to the Yard. My dad was worked split shifts and Sunday & Monday he worked second shift. He was the only CNJ Rail Person on the entire Property there except for when a train came in to switch out cars for different destinations. About an hour before sunset the rats would be everywhere and that was the best time but they came out during the day also. The river was polluted back then and loaded with garbage and LARGE RATS. Between my dad and I must have shot thousands RATS in the two years he would take me there. I got to be a good shot with a 22LR. I can Rember shooting up to a hundred 22s in a day (didn't get every rat with each shot).
Back then a Brick of 500 was only $5.00.

If I had rats I'd try that. I actually really enjoy hunting all sorts of small game. I'm actually getting to point on big game tags being such a pain to draw that I've been thing about buying a bison each year for meat and then just shooting steel and hunting small game and predators for my hunting fix

I looked through the first three pages and didn't see any rat posts! So I decided to post this one. I love shooting rats at night. In my opinion the ATN Xsight 4k pro scope isn't good for anything else except shooting critters at night time. If you want to challenge your marksmanship skills, get you a tripod and try shooting rats in the head from 20 yards from a standing position. those little bastards are hard to kill.

Anyone else enjoy shooting rats?
They are not small game unless you eat them. Otherwise, Varmints

If you've never had jerky bites made out of grain fed rats.. yer missing out ;)
I have not. I have eaten fried coyote and bobcat. The coyote is not good. I don't think rat would be much different than squirrel. Fry some up and let me know. I did tell you about bobcat and warn you about coyote LOL

Recent Posts