Are larger caliber rifles naturally less accurate?

My 6xc however can be loaded to jam into the lands and still be mag fed, wish this was the same way.

I think big caliber take a little more work on getting to shoot tighter. I have a custom 300RUM match rifle and she shoots great (5 shot groups size of dime at 200 yds). But it took sometime reloading to find the right combo.

I would try some loads closer to the lands, even if you have to single feed them. Just to see if you can get the accuracy you are looking for. If it is accurate you may be able to rechamber it with a shorter throat or rechamber to 338 norma, it is about a tenth inch shorter and mag length should mot be a problem.

Exactly .180" so almost 3/16
That's a lot of jump, my Sako TRG barrel liked .030-.035" with the 300 SMK and .0272-.0275" with the 300 Scenar. Work from .010" off in .005" increments and a powder with very low ES and SD. RL-33 was less then 5 at 94.5 in a Lapua case using a F215M primer and the 300 SMK.

You'll need to do more load development then just producing ammo. Start from a bench using a front bench rest and rabbit ear rear rest. Don't worry about the top velocity, find a node in the middle and work with the seating depth. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the action is in full contact with the recoil lug in the stock and torqued to specs, and a known quality scope and rings to with stand the recoil. Once everything checks out get to work on the loading bench and see what develops.

That was checked with a 285 amax slipping the bullet into a spent case and slipping it into the chamer and sliding it back out and comparing lengths with a loaded round. I'm sure with a smk it would be a good deal shorter due to the differences in the frontal area, just don't have any here because it was the worst one out of the bunch so I sold what was left

I got good speed and very low SD with the amax the Bergers were low on as well but a fair amount slower, I've not seen any dangerous signs of pressure, or unexplainable marks on the cases from the chamber either, as a matter of fact the spent cases still have enough tension in the neck area to slip another bullet in and the case will hold it, it doesn't take any force to get it in but there is still enough tension to keep it in place without the bullet falling back out, both the 223 and 6xc don't do that at all, could this be a part of the problem as well?

I think big caliber take a little more work on getting to shoot tighter. I have a custom 300RUM match rifle and she shoots great (5 shot groups size of dime at 200 yds). But it took sometime reloading to find the right combo.

My friends 300rum is the same way, I just wish he had gone with a heavier contour and put a break on it but he wanted to keep the sendero contour barrel and even used his original stock and he and I bedded it after he got his barreled action back from Dixie precision.

I know they do good work and that's why I went with them on the build but something definitely isn't jiving here and I guess my next task will be to just try a different powder, I read an article a few minutes ago where a man built his lapua and had great luck with rl25 though the speed was low and us869 but his barrel was much shorter than mine and I'm starting to wonder if maybe mine is too long and it's causing some sort of a problem as well, his barrel was only 22" long but for the most part the rest of his build is essentially the same as mine, both were built on very strong aftermarket actions, mounted into chassis systems, and shot mostly from a bipod. I would post the link but I don't know if I'm supposed to on here or not.

Said another way, I think plain Jane factory production rifles of large caliber will shoot less accurately than small caliber factory production rifles.

Whereas with custom rifles built with quality parts by a custom gunsmith, I don't think there will be much difference. Although I'd still give the a slight advantage to the smaller calibers.

I know of a pair of .260's built to be as identical as can be. One is easy to make shoot the other makes you work for it.

I have a .375 H&H that's a garbage can and eats anything, Very consistently 0.5" with any factory ammo, and as good as .12" with handholds.

Mostly it's always had decent, but lower magnification scopes on it. Rifles with more recoil can put a scope out of commission. Make sure your optic is up to the task.

While I have had large rifles that were exceptionally accurate, I think that in general, within the ballistic capabilities of a given cartridge, a smaller cartridge has the advantage for precision and accuracy when all factors are taken into account.

-Easier to shoot due to less recoil and pre-bullet exit, barrel movement
-Less stress upon firing on the rifle and cartrifge components.
-Greater availability of precision cartridge components due to use of smaller calibers in
competition.
All of these factors can be delt with to produce comparable accuracy but much more time and energy has to be applied to the shooting skills and the rifle/cartridge system, increasing the possibility for error.IMO

Another factor, as pointed out by the best in BR shooters, is sustainability. Wallet groups are just not representative of truths in performance.
A 375H&H shooting in the 1s? -NO,, NOT REALLY-
A 375H&H pulling off relatively good groups here & there? -VERY POSSIBLE-

In a group shooting session of ~50 rounds(10-5sht), a tiny little 6PPC, or 30BR could shoot little happy faces inside 375H&H grouping at 300yds.

Another factor, as pointed out by the best in BR shooters, is sustainability. Wallet groups are just not representative of truths in performance.
A 375H&H shooting in the 1s? -NO,, NOT REALLY-
A 375H&H pulling off relatively good groups here & there? -VERY POSSIBLE-

In a group shooting session of ~50 rounds(10-5sht), a tiny little 6PPC, or 30BR could shoot little happy faces inside 375H&H grouping at 300yds.

Not much to disagree with Mike.

The .12" mentioned was "as good as", 100 yards, 3 300 grain Sierra's. While I have shot an antelope with it at the 300 yard mark, I don't consider the .375 H&H a 300 yard bench-rest cartridge, but in terms of comparing similar hunting rifles the big bores can do well.

Sustainability is an issue, the bigger bores are harder on both shooter, and rifle. Yes I've shot scopes out, screws loose, and bedding loose. Longer sessions were achievable when I was much younger, some of the wear and tear in my neck is likely secondary to to frequent range time with this rifle in my youth.

If I hit a big lotto, commissioned a pure BR rifle, had bullets made strictly to BR standards, kept everything as close as the rules allow, you might well shoot happy faces inside the big bores groups, but I believe it would take your "A" game.

The original question as I understood was, Are larger caliber rifles "NATURALLY" less accurate. I think there are limits, both physical, and technical that favor the small bores in many of the games we play, but I don't think its a given.

If you find yourself in the neighborhood, stop in, and I'll let you test the limitations of a well made .375 H&H.

I think GreyFox hit it.

I'll add a couple more;
The smaller cartridge can run faster powder, and higher pressures for lower ES and lower muzzle pressures(cleaner bullet release).

If you put the same design effort into 2 guns, the smaller cartridge gun holds accuracy advantage -until BC takes over as dominate. Given this, accuracy-wise, you're better to choose the smallest cartridge that suits intent(not the largest).

On thing I've learned over the years is that accuracy in itself is VERY powerful.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.