Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

JemezDave

The highest power scope I own is an ATACR 4-16x 44mm on my .300win, but for 44 years I carried a rem. 700 in .270 caliber. My only optic during that 44 year time frame was a 4x Leatherwood ARTII, also 44mm, or maybe 42mm-don't recall offhand. In that time frame I've taken truckloads of deer and elk, but I never had any trouble being able to see to shoot and kill what I was hunting in any light condition. The optics are so good on that scope that I've never needed or wanted more power, or bigger objective. My question to those of you with the big 56-60mm objectives, at say 6-25X or more is why do you think you need that much power? Ok, a little background, I worked at a facility for years as an Optical Parts Inspector. We made optics for all branches of the US military, and I carried the appropriate D.O.D. clearance to do this work. My job was to measure all properties associated with any optic, including prisms and infrared/other optics, and coating chart analysis, and to insure it met the required specs. Later, I moved into an area where I was involved with final/non-destructive test of laser range and FLIR systems. My point is that I know a little bit about optics, but the question was actually spawned by the fact that of all of the world's leading military snipers, I can find no higher power used than 15-16x, in calibers up to and including 50 cal. Granted, special teams may have higher power scopes, but am saying this is apparently the general rule, with most countries at 10x or under.
I will add that what the world's military snipers use had no bearing on my latest 3-15x44 purchase, however. I bought it because it's all I believe I need. Anyways, I have no desire to change anyone's mind, and you won't change mine either. Just curious what you scope you guys hunt with and why? This question is directed at long range and ELR hunting applications, not paper punching-thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I don't think the ATACR is offered in 3-15x44. You might have a 4-16x ATACR or an NXS in 3-15x. But that's beside the point. To answer you question I don't think higher magnification is needed on your .300 Win Mag when engaging targets with, say, a 10" target area. I've read stories of snipers in the past using a fixed power 10x scope. It seems I read recently the higher power military sniper rifles in .338 will have up to 25x magnification.

I love big scopes. However, the problem is unless the conditions are just perfect you cant effectively use that magnification anyhow. Here in NM typically, in most instances actually the mirage is terrible. When you crank your scope back to where you can actually see clearly through that mirage typically you are going to around the 10-14x. There are somedays for sure, when you can utilize that power but I shoot a lot, a lot, and more often than not I can't keep my scopes on max. As mentioned before I think the 4-16 range is the perfect area, maybe 18. I think you did very well on your scope decision.

I don't think the ATACR is offered in 3-15x44. You might have a 4-16x ATACR or an NXS in 3-15x. But that's beside the point. To answer you question I don't think higher magnification is needed on your .300 Win Mag when engaging targets with, say, a 10" target area. I've read stories of snipers in the past using a fixed power 10x scope. It seems I read recently the higher power military sniper rifles in .338 will have up to 25x magnification.
It's the one in my Avatar-short, compact, and a few ounces lighter

Corrected-

JemezDave,

What a silly question! We need high powered guns and high powered trucks to get us to the range and to the hunting spot. Of course we need high powered scopes! My scope is a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Before I moved up from a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 I used 25X once to verify I wanted to fire at a deer. There's no way I could have done that with less magnification and less quality glass.

I have the following variables on my rifles from plinking, to hunting, to competitions.

One - Fixed 4x
One - Fixed 6x
Two - 2-7x42
One - 3-9x40
Three - 3-15x42

The 3-15x42s really cover all my needs. I was making 750 yard shots on steel at a match pretty efficiently. I used the same scope to hunt deer in thick timber. So, I think you made the right choice with a 4-16x44.

Having used a nxs 5.5-22x56 and vortex pst 6-24x50 for hunting I recently bought a 4-16 pst to replace them. While mentioned before the extra magnification was great for inspecting targets and not having to jump from spotter to gun but looking from 500-850yds at game I found myself most times backing off the magnification from max zoom once I was ready to take the shot. Especially in the 600yd and under range. I think if nightforce could offer a 4-18 scope that would be the perfect hunting setup, whether nxs or atacr. Reasons for magnification I can only foresee are using it as a spotting scope and if you have it you'll use it in some cases, but real world scenarios typically won't let you use all the magnification anyway due to light or lack of it, glare, mirage, lack of clarity at max zoom which most scopes have, and so on. If weight is of no concern by all means toss a large scope on, otherswise most scopes ranges in the teens for max magnification will be plenty.

One more thing to add is the right reticle choice. I have looked through 3-15 ranged (five or take) with a thicker reticle and hated them for smaller targets at extended ranges, I also have a 22x scope with an extremely fine reticle that is very difficult for black bear hunting. The total package and intended purpose needs to be weighed and like most rifles, it's tough to find an optic to rule them all. Typically you buy each with an intended purpose and leave it at that.

My main deer rifle has a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 on it... Exceptional field optic, top-tier glass, and super lightweight, incase anyone is interested in finding a used one (no longer made).

My target rifles and LR rifles all have high magnification scopes (6-24x).

real world scenarios typically won't let you use all the magnification anyway due to light or lack of it, glare, mirage, lack of clarity at max zoom which most scopes have, and so on. If weight is of no concern by all means toss a large scope on, otherswise most scopes ranges in the teens for max magnification will be plenty.

None of mine have that problem. If they can't be crystal clear from X-XX then I return them. Makes no sense to keep something that does not work. Would we do that with a spotter?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.