Are drones for hunting like sonar for fishing

10point

Considering a drone for hunting. Does this meet the standard of fair game hunting. If so what models are suited for hunting reconnaissance

I just completed a course on one of the small unmanned aerial vehicles. After seeing how the FAA operates I don't think I would try pushing my luck! Besides, I would be surprised if there is a state that allows it (if you are stateside of course).

My opinion is you should put that money towards a good spotting scope or set of high mag binos.

AS far as fair chase. IMO apply the same rules as you would to manned helicopter or airplane. Basically, I see no reason not to.

State and federal legalities are a completely different story.

Because of work, we keep very close tabs on legalities of "drones".

State wildlife laws may or may not allow it. See my first statement. If your state forbids aerial reconnaissance don't risk it unless you want to be a test case.

Federally, if you are flying over an area where humans are not under the aircraft and where you have proper permission, there is no problem with the flying part. If you flush, harass or haze any controlled game animal in the process, you could have problems.

I'm not sure I'd bother but then I'm in California. If I were in Kansas or Nebraska I might. There are range issues and time issues with the drones. We are using the Phantom 2 Vision+ | DJI

This thread is the beginning of a lot of contention. I have seen hunters hire pilot and fixed wing aircraft for scouting as well as choppers for scouting which is legal in some states. Most if not all states have statutes prohibiting their use during a hunt. Some state statutes are written specifically stating manned aircraft. Obviously written prior to the technically advanced drone era. Some potential argument will likely compare a drone to spotting scopes, technically advanced range finders and friends on vantage spots with radios. To me the drone will spook the game and will knowingly be used to drive game to the hunters. Not fair chase in my eyes. The legality of drone use will inevitably be tested in several states and will result in wording changes in state statutes. Just wait till the Liberal Left starts their rant on this one. Final opinion, not ethical and the hunting community doesn't need it.

I would consider the use of drones for hunting to be in poor taste and highly unethical, right up there with canned hunts.However the use of them may be a moot point when the Game and Fish departments of each state get around to deciding what their stand will be.The only use I would consider for my personal use would be for the eradication of feral hogs,as far as I am concerned any thing goes with them.It may come down to your choice of whether to use them or not.

Flying around scouting for deer manned or unmanned is no different than trail cameras in my book. I know guys that have 50 or more trail cameras set up on one 100 acre farm. The deer can't sneeze without being recorded. But hunting from a aircraft is not fair chase..

I gotta say...I don't really like the idea of using these things to hunt or scout.

We are losing more than we are gaining by letting technology do everything for us.

Flying around scouting for deer manned or unmanned is no different than trail cameras in my book. I know guys that have 50 or more trail cameras set up on one 100 acre farm. The deer can't sneeze without being recorded. But hunting from a aircraft is not fair chase..

Yep, I agree. Lets just keep the drones for hunting people, not animals!....:D....EXCEPT HOGS...Anything goes with Feral hogs! I can't think of Anything short of a nuclear blast that should be illegal for Hogs. Well, maybe a nuclear blast WOULD be OK for Hogs, but don't think the neighbors are going to like it much!

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Founding Member of PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals!

I covered legalities in my other post. Now that the discussion has gotten going and I think it's a good thing to discuss, time for me to comment.

I don't want laws to prevent it's use. Period. Same as I hate B&C or anyone else saying LR or ELR hunting is not fair chase. Let people do what they want to. Stop making laws just because you don't like something. If a hunter does use a drone, it won't effect you.

However, I don't like the concept. So, while I might not want to stop someone from using them I'm not going to give them a big atta boy.

Whether I like the idea of drones or not I agree with jfseaman, even though I get paid by the gov I hate how they think they need to have a say in every single thing you do.
Saying that, I wonder how those drone hunting rounds pattern or if there is a special choke tube for them.:D

I also wonder how the cameras are on the civilian models, anybody have any experience? The small model I was trained on did not really impress me at all, especially for the $150,000 (plus) cost per unit. They are very loud, the cameras weren't that good (besides being hard as he!! to keep on a target in any wind) and they work off line of sight. If one of the larger ones gets after you, on the other hand, you are in trouble!

I think the OP was comparing the use of a drone to the use of sonar for fishing.

IMO they are about the same. Either way you are using technology to find game. I dont like the idea of sonar for fishing but i also agree that it is not something that i really want being regulated.

I also completely agree that hunting should not be allowed from them (some moron will put a 300 win mag on one im sure...) nor any other aircraft.

As for scouting with them IMO if you ban drones for scouting with you should ban sonar for fishing with :)

-Keith

This thread is the beginning of a lot of contention. I have seen hunters hire pilot and fixed wing aircraft for scouting as well as choppers for scouting which is legal in some states. Most if not all states have statutes prohibiting their use during a hunt. Some state statutes are written specifically stating manned aircraft. Obviously written prior to the technically advanced drone era. Some potential argument will likely compare a drone to spotting scopes, technically advanced range finders and friends on vantage spots with radios. To me the drone will spook the game and will knowingly be used to drive game to the hunters. Not fair chase in my eyes. The legality of drone use will inevitably be tested in several states and will result in wording changes in state statutes. Just wait till the Liberal Left starts their rant on this one. Final opinion, not ethical and the hunting community doesn't need it.

I've been buzzed by fixed wing with both a deer and a bear in my scope and of course they took off. Also been buzzed by a helicopter when deer hunting the day before opening elk. I wouldn't want to see drones for recreational hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.