Are all remington model 597s junk?

Any company that will not stand up and admit they have a design flaw after the dozens of deaths and hundreds of accidental discharges asociated with the m700, wounding people for life, is no company for me. I have never owned a 597 but I have owned other Remington products two of which had serious malfunctions. 597 is not junk the remington brand is mass produced junk. Beautiful,straight shooting,junk. I think they sold out also.
Just like Honda Preiss are all junk because someone said the accelerator was sticking to full throttle. After more reasearch Honda was released from liability and if you go to Remington site you can see the rest of the story of how the rifle was mistreated on the cleaning end and proper care. There are sure a lot of Gun Builders that like remington actions to start the rebuild with. I have 3 Remingtons and have never had a problem.

I know this is a couple month old thread, but I thought I might offer a suggestion. The Remmy 597 is generally regarded as a pretty accurate rifle. If you are still getting groups as big as you were before I would suggest pulling your scope rings off and checking the Weaver rail that is screwed to the top of your receiver. If you are not using the weaver rail then disregard this.

The factory supplied weaver rail is screw to the top of the receiver and it isn't uncommon for it to be loose. Attaching a scope to loose scope mounts will do nothing to help your accuracy. Keep in mind that the receiver is aluminum and will strip out if too much force is applied.

My 597 is WAY more accurate than it should be. I have shot many sub .100" groups with it at 25 yards with SK/Wolf ammo.

Glad you got rid of those plastic mags. The good mags are referred to as "circle-10" mags. There is a little 10 with a circle around it on the metal part of the mag.

Also, when Visigoth mentioned the barrel screw hitting the barrel it is actually the front action screw that can be the problem. In a very few cases it has been reported that the front action screw was too long and was screwing too far in and butting up against the barrel mounting screw. This was causing whacky accuracy issues.

Cheers!
Thanx for the info, but I sold the rifle. I just got sick of messing with it. It sold within a day in the local trader magazine. The money went to another CZ that shoots just as well as the first one(i just had to spend a bit more than I did on the 597, but it's money well spent)
Thanx again
Cody

Well since there are alot of 597 freaks in here...I am having loading issues in mine. I'll get a few rounds through the gun before a round gets caught in the middle of feeding, and the round is bent where the projectile and the brass meet. Looks like it might be getting caught on the feed ramp. Anyone experience that before that can help me out? And I can live without the smart a** remarks saying "get a 10/22":) Thanks!

Well since there are alot of 597 freaks in here...I am having loading issues in mine. I'll get a few rounds through the gun before a round gets caught in the middle of feeding, and the round is bent where the projectile and the brass meet. Looks like it might be getting caught on the feed ramp. Anyone experience that before that can help me out? And I can live without the smart a** remarks saying "get a 10/22":) Thanks!

Two things you can check:

1) Make sure you have the latest magazines (I think they are the third generation ones), and not the early plastic ones. If the gun is relatively new, then you probably have the latest version of the magazine.

2) If you take the action out of the stock, you can access the screw heads that hold the guide rods in place. On some guns, the guide rods were tightened too much, and this causes feeding issues, since the rods are bowed. Loosen the screws and then just snug them up a little, with very little torque on the screws.

I have a newer HB version and it shoots and functions well, in fact it will out shoot my Bmag on most days. It prefers CCI ammo for best accuracy.

Even with the Gen. 3 mags, a polishing on the interior is a good thing. also a number of people pull the guide rods out and polish them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts