Are 224 Bullets Too small for Deer Sized Game?

I've used and seen the 223 rem used to kill far too many deer for anyone to tell me it won't kill deer. Is it the best choice? That's debatable!
It has proven to kill deer and in the RIGHT HANDS will work with good bullets. I would prefer larger caliber however...

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?View attachment 166189
Way to small to be fair and ethical. Yes they can kill with a perfect shot only but why would you ?

I am not saying I would ever use a .224" diameter slug to shot a deer or other similar sized game but certain states have a minimum diameter or caliber to hunt deer. they have specified 0.243" as the minimum diameter of the slug you can use to shoot deer. other states do not specify. so 0.224" is in. now I know there are several people that have and will forever use 22-250, 22 middlestead, 22-08, and other super 22's to shoot deer, I am not one of those people. I personally believe that 0.257" is the best slug diameter for the deer in middle and northern California. 0.277" is great for all other states with bigger deer. my personal opinion. I have seen deer shot with a 60 grain to 75 grain soft point 0.224" slug from a magnum centerfire 22 round. it brought the deer down eventually. This was after a third shot to the vitals, 600 yards away from the initial spot it was first hit, and my personal 270 Win putting a round to the upper neck to sever the spine. I just do not trust a 22 centerfire to do the job on deer. no matter the weight, if you can not place the shot into an area that is more vital that heart and lungs then do not use that small of a slug. the diameter does not do enough damage to be any where near ethical for me and the deer. Disagree with me if you must, but the last 34 years of hunting has impressed upon me not to trust the .224" diameter slugs to put down a deer without a head, high neck or spine shot. if you intend to shoot anywhere other than neck/spine or head.. do not used anything smaller than the 0.243"/6MM diameter slugs. as for all of those slugs above; the weight might be enough on the heavier slugs, but the diameter is not sufficient to do the job.

A lot of discussion about 224 bullets being to small, too low penetration, too explosive, etc for varied deer sized game at "reasonable distances", so of the below bullets, which is unsuitable for deer and similar sized game and why?View attachment 166189
If it was me I'd ask the local game warden, in Florida it's FWC, and inquire if there was any small caliber restrictions?.

I would gather the biggest problem is lack of bullets sold and labeled deer bullets or ammo. Unless you know match and varmint ammo isn't designed for deer what do you chose? Most people who bought 223 ammo for deer hunting bought it for a youth or new hunter. Most had no idea bullets mattered. As long as their green box 270 said 130 grain it worked! No so with 22 cal . You can't go to many stores and buy 22 cal partitions In loaded ammo. There's several "good" .224 bullets for deer size game. Most of them are a hand load only option. Anything labeled varmint or match isn't going to be a good choice. If it has game king, partition , tsx or interlock type words it should work fine

I would second that. There are deer bullets and varmint bullets in most calibers & cartridges. If one is going to use a varmint bullet for deer in a larger caliber, he's probably more likely to get away with it due to having more bullet weight. But with .224" bullets, the ones that are designed specifically for use on deer-sized animals are the only way to go. Even with the heavier .224's, there is no excess of bullet weight to help you out. Stouter construction is really all you've got to get the job done.

My first deer ever was a doe facing away and it didnt have an entrance wound if ya catch my drift..she dropped like a rock. I was about 10 and dont quite recall what rifle I was using...seems like those sphincter shots lay em down pretty good...lol

Messy gutting them, though ……….

What all of you are forgetting is there is a new 224 in town., actually a couple. both 224 valkyrie and the 22 nosler are perfectly suited to take even the largest deer. They are making the new all copper bullets for just about everything and sporting up to a 95gr and hopefully a 100 gr soon, staying supersonic up to 1300 yards and the copper projectile being slow expansion and deep penetrating you can't go wrong.

That ought to be about the equivalent of shooting deer with a 243, which a lot of guys think is a good deer cartridge. I don't think deer can tell the difference what they get shot with, and I would be content to shoot them with these newer and heavier .224 bullets.

I've used 75gr hornady tap factory ammo, 75 gr gold dots factory ammo, and I believe a makers 62 gr bullet with great success on South Georgia whitetail deer, coyotes, and several hogs. I pick my shots and keep my shots within 200 yards. Each of the above 223 bullets have performed well and I've never lost a game animal with the above mentioned bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.