Archery Range Pictures

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
I thought I'd share a picture of my archery range.

Archery Range.jpg

It's 5 minutes down the road from my house at a county park here in Wisconsin.

5 straw-bale target stations. Raised platform station.

I typically shoot early in the morning and I've yet to see another archer. Gorgeous mornings lately - light wind, blue sky.

My groups are tightening up - soon I'll be ready for the season!

I'd love to see some other range setups so please feel free to share. I'll be very jealous of the ones where you can see mountain peaks in the background. That backstop berm is one of the biggest hills in the county I live in :)

Last edited:
Here I am testing out a bow mounted camera at 115 yards with field points. At one point the camera shoots loose and I have to retighten it. The target is the second covered set of hay bales and a 8X10 sheet of paper. Fortunately, the video is so poor that you can't see it when I miss. :D This is the Lake Needwood range 45 minutes from home.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejP4bdjKUug&feature=player_profilepage]‪Bow at 115 yards.m2ts‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

For broadhead testing I go out to Green Ridge rifle range which is a 2 hour drive from home and shoot before it is legal to shoot my guns. However, this day I am trying to test out fetching styles but the bow is too fast for the video to capture the arrow stability issues.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oukH4H0t-vU&feature=player_profilepage]‪Bow practice.m2ts‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I was back out there today and was recalibrating my sight pins to the new fletching with broadheads on. I got out to 80 yards. I will have to go back next week to calibrate the 90, 100 and 115 pins and then it will be off to Utah to hunt elk and mule deer.

Andy, that park doesn't happen to have a rifle range too does it? looks familiar.

Buffalobob, that is some long shooting! what kind of fletching were you testing?

I just got the OK from my doctor to start shooting my bow, had a little operation to repair my eye socket and wasn't sure if I'd be able to bowhunt this year.

I had been using 3 fletch blazers with ACC 3-71s and 125 gr fixed blades and tried some four fletch AAE 2 3/8 vane and Max hunters along with four Blazers. Finally settled on Blazers 75X105. It seems to me that once I gain 9000 feet of altitude that the thin air needs more area for stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.