Arbor Press Recommendation

jhfleming

Looking to buy aquality arbor press & dies for precision bullet seating what brand andmodel would you recommend

OK, this is heresy; or at least unorthodox. But I didn't need the portability offered by those arbor presses typically used for reloading so I bouight, and regularly use, this:

1/2 Ton Arbor Press

I use Wilson dies with this arbor press. I admit it isn't pretty, but it does the job. None of those cute little presses works any differently - they're just prettier - and they cost at least twice as much.

Never thought of using that type of arbor press, (the 1/2 ton). The picture in the link appears a little off. Does the ram come down in the center of the base? How tight are the tolerances? I have been giving the arbor press a look see for reloading and I just might have to give this a go. I will be going with Wilson dies. If this press works I figure I can get the press and one set of Wilson dies and base for about $167. That would save about $75 as I had it figures before.

I use a K&M arbor press. Very light weight making it easy to use at the range. What I really like about it is the toggle links instead of a rack and gear setup. Has a nice feel when seating bullets. Loads ammo as good as the case is concentric, and that's all you can ask for.
gary

Never thought of using that type of arbor press, (the 1/2 ton). The picture in the link appears a little off. Does the ram come down in the center of the base? How tight are the tolerances? I have been giving the arbor press a look see for reloading and I just might have to give this a go. I will be going with Wilson dies. If this press works I figure I can get the press and one set of Wilson dies and base for about $167. That would save about $75 as I had it figures before.

The anvil rotates on its center around a pin. The ram centers on any of the "pettles" or openings as the anvil is rotated.
I haven't found tolerances to be an issue. Once the ram comes down and compresses the die it's the die that determines how the load is completed. All the ram does is push the pieces of the die together. I saved enough on this arbor press purchase to buy a Wilson chamber type bullet seater. :)
I love saving money ................................

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts