AR400 plate target

TheDeicide

I have an opportunity to make a steel target from AR400 3/8 plate. The price can't be beat or I'd go thicker. We won't be shooting anything bigger than a 338 Lapua at it. Any thoughts how far my minimum distance to target should be to avoid a very expensive sieve? I know little about this material except it's expensive.

If you can hang that AR400 plate at an angle, 20 degrees or so, it will direct the splatter into the ground and be much tougher. If it's a great price I'd grab it and shoot it at 400 or so working up from lighter bullets to the heavy and fast stuff, see what it does? My only plates are A516 that's .66" thick and AR500 that is 3/8" thick, the A516 is quite soft and you can punch it with just about any high powered rifle at any distance you can hit them at but you can hear the impact and they swing really well. The AR500 I haven't shot a lot yet but it pretty much laughs at 300WM at 400+. I haven't tried to hurt it though, and probably won't.

If you can hang that AR400 plate at an angle, 20 degrees or so, it will direct the splatter into the ground and be much tougher. If it's a great price I'd grab it and shoot it at 400 or so working up from lighter bullets to the heavy and fast stuff, see what it does? My only plates are A516 that's .66" thick and AR500 that is 3/8" thick, the A516 is quite soft and you can punch it with just about any high powered rifle at any distance you can hit them at but you can hear the impact and they swing really well. The AR500 I haven't shot a lot yet but it pretty much laughs at 300WM at 400+. I haven't tried to hurt it though, and probably won't.
At 200 yards the ar500 1/2" I shot would gouge it pretty good with a 300wm. This is on a stand with torso size and poppers, but does slightly angle down. m855 ammo doesn't even start to make dents. Most any soft and decent thickness metal that swings or is angled will survive a long time. Sheet metal is a whole (more like hole) other story.

I have an opportunity to make a steel target from AR400 3/8 plate. The price can't be beat or I'd go thicker. We won't be shooting anything bigger than a 338 Lapua at it. Any thoughts how far my minimum distance to target should be to avoid a very expensive sieve? I know little about this material except it's expensive.
If it is a really really good price and you don't mind some holes go for it. Otherwise get AR500. Just saw some on sale and free shipping AMAZON.

I work with steel in the marine industry, There is many grades of steel for different purposes. I can say that AR400 plate is not a high impact steel, where AR 500 plate is rated as a high impact metal and can withstand the abuse of projectiles. The ar400 plate is a very good high wearing/high tensle strength, but it is not high impact rated.

Recent Posts