AR15 LOADS

sure shot

Anyone have any accurate loads for there AR they would like to share. I'm curently using a 52gr SMK backed by 27gr of H335 lit up by a CCI primer. It shoots good for a 14.5in BBL so I diden't venture onto any other loads yet. I would like get some input before I start wasting powder and slugs.Twist is 1 in 9.

The loads I use are 26.0gr benchmark for hodgens they shoot 3330 in mine with good accurcy and the bullet is a 50gr vmax to varmint hunt with. Also mine is a custom ar15 with a 24inch barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use Varget w/55 grains bullets. My favorite for hunting is 55 grain Hornady SPSX's. They're great.

For accuracy I'm looking at the new 55 grain Speer TNT's. They perform well in any caliber that I've tried (.308 & .257)

In side 500 yds tac powder an 50-75 gr projectile rule the field here in vermont,..work up an be safe...

Haven't spent a whole lot of time dialing in but have been happy with X-terminator behind 36-55gr bullets, and various primers.

Sure Shot,
This is my all time favorite "go to" load for the M4 rifle. I've hunting all over with this load... I've popped and punched ton's of steel and paper with it. It'll follow the ballistic scale in a scope (like an ACOG 3.5x35mm) set up for the M855 all the way out to 800 meters dead nuts on. It one of the most accurate loads I've used in an AR type rifle.
Here you.
5.56x45mm NATO
Win Case
CCI #41 primer
Hodgdon H-335 {25.0grs}
Sierra Game King 65gr SPBT
Vel's 2950

Good luck.

I too like Ramshot X-terminator behind 55gr HP flat base bullets. Using 24.3 grains getting just over 3000 fps. CCI #41 primers, LC brass in my 16"Lo Pro Classic.

Here is a typical group at 200yds. groupings 002.jpg

Chuckmaster, that's a great group. You're making me want to put a more powerful scope on one of my AR's now!

Thanks Capt Academy, but I can't take all of the credit since it was my youngest son with my gun. He can shoot that gun quite well. At 100yds he can put 5 shots in a group that is just over .375".

jlamb, when he shot that group I had my 5-20 Monarch on it. Too big and too powerful and have since put a Burris 3-9 on and been having some good fun with it. I took a woodchuck 2 days ago with it at 135yds and wish that I had my camera. The old expression of eating lead.... well that is what happened to that poor thing, straight through mouth as he stood there. I am really impressed with how this gun shoots. Always been a bolt action guy and never thought too much about AR's. They have come a long way and are very impressive once you put a good trigger in them.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.