ar15 in 243wssm or ar10 in 243?

Ring

looking for a 800y+ varmiter...
both are the same price, 1k

the ar10 is 1in10, the ar15 i can get in 1-8 or 1-9

ar10 mags would be cheaper and easy to find, the wssm would be custom and 35$ each.

Seems like an either/or type of choice. So it would depend on what you want. Here are my initial thoughts.

AR10 in 243win - with a 10 twist barrel the heaviest bullet you can shoot is about 90 grains. That's a larger enough bullet to kill deer if you decide to go dual purpose. Also, the 243win is not a barrel burner.

AR15 in 243wssm - with an 8 or 9 twist, you can shoot the 105grain bullets. The wssm though is a bit of a barrel burner.

If it was mine, I would choose the AR10.

I had the same problem. I went with the 243 wssm in the ar15 frame for the significant price and weight difference. (Went with a dtech upper with select shillen barrel for ~$900 and a rock river complete lower ~$300. The rifle's primary use will be coyotes, so the weight was definately a priority. One thing about the wssm is the magazine will limit you c.o.l. with longer bullets.

Not sure why everyone thinks the wssm will be any more of a barrel burner than the winchester. Shoots virtually the same amount of powder.

Not sure why everyone thinks the wssm will be any more of a barrel burner than the winchester. Shoots virtually the same amount of powder.

Those that believe it is.......never have owned on and like too talk smack......

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.