AR10 Scope Advise

Tennman

Hey guys. First post. In the process of researching scopes for longer distance shooting this forum kept popping up. So you guys apparently are a very knowledgeable group! Here's my situation. Going on my first hog hunt in March with my new AR10. So in my future (next year) is a ~$2-3k thermal sight for this rifle. I hunt and shoot on our property where a 100-150 yard shot is long (Tenn hills). Been a Leupold and Nikon guy but reading here Nightforce and Vortex keep popping up. I'll put my budget at $500-700 for a scope leaning more towards tactical shooting. Midway has the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 illuminated on sale. I've read here NF is higher quality, but also about double the price to get a comparable scope.

So, given my budget, is a Vortex product (or the one mentioned above) my best bang per buck? I've got much to learn about zero stop, etc. Apples to apples in this price range Vortex best value. Thanks for helping me spend my money!

Having 2 ar10s one in .308 and one in 6.5creed. I have nightforce nxs 3-15 and a pst gen ii 5-25 on them for my most bang for the buck id go the vortex. My nf is a pre hi-speed zero lock model so its old but the glass on the vortex is clearer and brighter to me. Another option is the leupold vx5hd, own a 3-15 for a slug gun and love the clarity and brightness of it.

I think you can group vortex in with Nikon. When at the same price level. They both have cheap and higher end scopes in the lineup. I've had great luck with my Nikon 2-10 on my ar's. For your distance you don't need a ton of zoom. I also have a vortex 2-10 that I really like but those have been discontinued.
I will throw out if your looking for something with more zoom optics planet had a Burris verocity 3-15 on sale with a free 4-16 I think scope. Ran in the $600 dollar range.
Nightforce is top notch and well worth the money but I don't run them in anything but my long range rigs for hunting.

Thanks all for the inputs. Based on the favorable comments on the Vortex I just ordered a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 illuminated FFP with MRAD reticle. It's on sale for $674. Seemed like a killer deal and plenty of capability for me to learn distance shooting on my AR10. I thot that is a great deal for an illuminated scope. I guess Vortex has a great warranty also. Excited to get it! Again Thanks.

They have a great warranty. Unfortunately I have had to use it more than any other.
Maybe a fluke but that's my experience. They are great scope and great people. They donate a scope every year to me to put atop a rifle I buy and customize for a Purple Heart hunt raffle. So I always look at them first. I've also got scope from them that have taken crazy amounts of abuse and run like a Swiss clock.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts