AR10 - Buy or Build

Sorry, was speaking of factory ammo!
See my post above...I was having a serious brain fart. You can't use .308 brass, but you can use 7.62x39 brass to form it.

Yeah, factory ammo seems to not be as plentiful right now, but once all this is over, you should be able to buy cases of Wolf 123gr JHP's for fairly cheap compared to the varmint ammo that is high-dollar.

The 6.5 Grendel is an excellent round. It's a shame it didn't take off like it should have.

Heard good things about both, but never owned one. The main 6.5 Grendels I've shot were Alexander Arms uppers on old Colt, DPMS, or Shrubmaster lowers.

Personally, with as much out there available today, I would build a 6.5 Grendel upper and build it the way you want it.

I am building my .300 BLK rifle at the moment, but with all the inability to find ammo at normal prices, I have debated on building a 6.5 Grendel instead... I have always wanted one, and a 16-18" 6.5 Grendel as a R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle) or D.M.R. (Designated Marksman Rifle) would be nasty!

Heard good things about both, but never owned one. The main 6.5 Grendels I've shot were Alexander Arms uppers on old Colt, DPMS, or Shrubmaster lowers.

Personally, with as much out there available today, I would build a 6.5 Grendel upper and build it the way you want it.

I am building my .300 BLK rifle at the moment, but with all the inability to find ammo at normal prices, I have debated on building a 6.5 Grendel instead... I have always wanted one, and a 16-18" 6.5 Grendel as a R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle) or D.M.R. (Designated Marksman Rifle) would be nasty!

I have a 6.5-284 build which is completed, however, I haven't picked it up yet! http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-6-5-x-284-build-83765/. So therefore trying to diversify my stable with a .308!

I have a 6.5-284 build which is completed, however, I haven't picked it up yet! http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-6-5-x-284-build-83765/. So therefore trying to diversify my stable with a .308!
Then get a Rem 700 5R MilSpec with the 24" barrel, and you'll be set. Get a 6.5 Grendel for your next AR. And be sure to add a .300 BLK to the list. Then you should be about set. Because once you have all of those, the 6.8 SPC is kinda...Well....Useless and expensive to shoot. :cool:

My appologies, I never mean to offend anyone when I say things, but alot of times people take it the wrong way. I am just not a 6.8 fan. Alot of folks are, if you are, good for you...But I am not.

I have no interest in a 6.8!
You could actually build 1 lower and build a 6.5, .300 BLK, and a 5.56 upper for that same lower. Saving you some cash. Just swap out mags and uppers and you're good to go from CQB to Sniper on the same platform with a simple upper and mag swap. :cool:

I am thinking of building a single lower and three uppers, 7mm-08, 7.62 nato, .358 win. The 7mm-08 for longer ranges (for me nowadays that is about 500yd, 700 absolute max)
deer, antelope. The 7.62 just because, and the .358 for hogs (and bear LOL).
These along, with my AR-15, should cover all my needs for centerfire rifles. But since I am new to AR's (old with M-1, M14) I am uneasy about swapping uppers. I am tempted to build two lowers and keep the 7mm always together permanently, for accuracy reasons, swapping only the 7.62 and the .358. The cost of the extra lower might be better spent on a better scope, if I was sure that swapping the upper has little or no effect on accuracy of the unit.

... if I was sure that swapping the upper has little or no effect on accuracy of the unit.

Swapping uppers or more specific to your question, taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, putting it on...will have no change in the uppers ability to perform as it always does.

It's not bad to have 2, because you can set them up for different purposes. Like, maybe you want your hog gun to be a shorter carbine style, so you could run a collapsable stock with a more factory trigger, and perhaps you want your big game hunting rifle to be more of a precision, with an after market trigger and rifle length stock.

I myself, like everything to be the exact same. I have 1 AR15 lower, and I have 1 AR10 lower...and even those are set up to feel the exact same (except for a little weight difference) Same grip, same stock and same LOP.
For me, it's comes down to muscle memory.

For the accuracy though...fear not. You'll be fine.

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself and through my two cents in. I'm a retired military engineer and marksmanship instructor living in Michigan. I bought a DPMS LR 308C last year (after ordering it a year before) and was not overly inspired by the performance. It shot 1.5 moa not terrible but not great. I went to work on hand loads this year, arriving at some impressive results. A nosler 168gr silver tip over 41 grs of IMR 3031 printed a 3 shot group at less than .25 moa. Needless to say I was ecstatic. Trigger is terrible but for a production gun it far exceeded my expectations. At just over a grand it cost a lot less than my custom bolt gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.