AR10/ Aero upper and PSA Gen 2 lower issues

270wsmnutt

I just finished a kit yesterday that had a assembled AR10 Aero upper(fluted 308 barrel/handguard/brake), with complete lower parts kit and a ADK BCG. I had a stripped PSA AR10 Gen 2 lower that I put together and have the following issues:
-bolt won't lock back
-light dents in primer when firing
I have found that once I chamber a round, the bolt does not close all the way, so I can push if forward and the gun will fire/eject fine. But does this every time.
From what research I have been able to do, I think that the issue is with the magazine catch lever and of course they are on back order at PSA. Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas on how to correct this issue? I really don't want to buy a Aero lower then a PSA upper and end up with 2 AR10's.

i used an aero M5 receiver set for my build. The only issues i had were with the take down pins. i used a CMMG lower parts kit and their pins were too thick and wouldnt go in the lower. i ended up using aero pins and they work great. only bad thing was that the pins alone from aero cost more than the entire LPK i bought. oh well.

having said that, i've heard of people having issues with the PSA AR10 lowers. i wouldve used a PSA upper if i had gone that route. they've had some good deals on them lately. i'll probably use one for a 308 build one day.

maybe try sanding down the bolt catch to make sure it can freely move? make sure the BCG is binding anywhere. i've heard of issues with that on aero uppers.

i think the idea of 2 AR10's is the best way to go. :D have one in 308 and the other 6.5 creed.

Thanks for the advice! I know, that is what I get for going cheap... I knew I should have went with matching upper/lower mfg's. I think I will take out my bolt catch lever and see how if works and if so, may do a little sanding/light filling. My take down pins were the right diameter, but too long. Once I get this one fixed, just going back to my AR15's as I love my 6.5 Grendel for what I am using it for, it is much lighter and better balanced and shoots really great.

i love my AR in 6.5 creedmoor. it's just heavy. the barrel is .936 at the gas block. it's a blast to shoot. much better than when it was a .308

i'm planning to change over one of my 556 AR's to 6.5 grendel. i was just looking at parts today. i think it would be great for deer hunting and much lighter than anything i have right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.