AR10... 6.5 or .308?

I guess I should have just given a positive recommendation on a Daniel Defense AR. Uppers were interchangeable, almost like the TC Contender Barrels

I'd love a chance at shooting some of those pigs if you ever need another partner. You're right, Im in Livermore. I just drove up Mines road last Thursday.
The land owners are both LR comp shooters and hunters. Unfortunately I haven't even had a chance at them. :(
The last feral that I know of was taken with an AR10 in .308

I've got an upper and a lower for an AR 10 build. Trying to make a decision on which direction to go, 6.5 Creedmor or .308. Looking for some help from someone that has experience with AR10s that could nudge me one way or the other with their experiences. I want to use it for long range applications. This will be my first build so any advice would be much appreciated!
I have AR10s in both calibers. Both easily shoot sub MOA. I have had 308s for probably 20 years while the 6.5 was new to me last year. The 6.5 CM shoots a bit softer and flatter. It is extremely accurate. The 308 has a much larger range of bullets and powders to choose from. I have taken deer at 450 with the 308 using handloads out of a 16" barrel. And made head shots on a USPSA shaped steel target at 500. I have shot a LaRue OBR at 1000 with easy hits on target. I have yet to have the opportunity to wring out the 6.5 beyond 300 yds but I am sure it will perform very nicely at 1000 as well.

I am really liking the 6.5 and once I start reloading for it, I will probably like it even more. But if I had to choose between the 308 and 6.5 as the only rifle for all around use, I would never feel at a disadvantage with the 308.

why not both?

i had one in a 308, took the barrel off and slapped a 358win and currently getting a 375 raptor together.

maybe one day soon i can take my first bear with either.

beyond that, something just doesn't sit right with me thinking of the violent loading of a auto loader and having a lot of bullet out of the case.

I've got an upper and a lower for an AR 10 build. Trying to make a decision on which direction to go, 6.5 Creedmor or .308. Looking for some help from someone that has experience with AR10s that could nudge me one way or the other with their experiences. I want to use it for long range applications. This will be my first build so any advice would be much appreciated!
DEPENDS on what you want to use it for. For light game hunting and plinking go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. For a battle rifle
go with the 7.62 x 51 with a 24 inch barrel. If you go with stainless you will enjoy running at least 10K rounds through it.
If it is a match barrel SS nitrate coated and perhaps fluted barrel you will have a tac driver sub MOA. 308 is a prolific round
and plenty of ease to find if TEOTWAWKI happens ( The end of the world as we know it). where you will be less worried trying to find ammo for a .308 than 6.5 Creedmoor. Call it your all purpose go to rifle for bear, moose, elk, mule deer and white tail or coyotes and hogs. If you want to really have a superb rifle from your build I recommend CRADDOCK PRECISION ( Paul Craddock USMC in Tennessee.) https://craddockprecision.com/
Go with a Bartlein Barrel nitrate coated inside and out. Call Paul and discuss with him. You will be delighted.

This is my Armalite 7.62 x 51 AR10T match to see the potential for your build. (Barrel and Trigger group are critical)
Don't skip on components as you assemble it. It is not the few things you do but rather the sum total of all the little
things you do to enhance your expectations for a tac driver. As much as we love them my wife and I will soon be selling ours.

Attachments

• ARMALITE AR-10 T SIDE PROFILE.jpg
    ARMALITE AR-10 T SIDE PROFILE.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 128
The newest caliber to add to your AR10 wish list is the 8.6 BLK. A shortened 6.5 Creedmore case with a 338 bullet going subsonic (300 grains) has more energy at 300 yards than a 308 has at the muzzle. And with a can, very quiet. A 1 in 3" twist will cut through game like a blender.

Nothing wrong with 338 Federal. Easy button to form cases from ubiquitous 308 brass. We even rattled 308 projo down the tube to fireform brass from 308 ammo.
You are quite right sir. I had the Armalite .338 Federal and it was a superb thumper. Moreover, it created a third eye on me
and took a USMC sarg to cure me of flinching after 45 minutes of ball and dummy. That rifle was truly sub MOA all day long.
Great rifle. I just sold off over 500 pieces of .338 Federal once fired brace to a good man, the last vestiges of my memorable rifle..
I have my duplicate .308 Armalite AR 10T which offers much less recoil especially with the Lancer Corp tunable Muzzle brake
and the Limb Saver butt stock pad which mitigates 70+ percent felt recoil. Sub MOA all day long.

DEPENDS on what you want to use it for. For light game hunting and plinking go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. For a battle rifle
go with the 7.62 x 51 with a 24 inch barrel. If you go with stainless you will enjoy running at least 10K rounds through it.
If it is a match barrel SS nitrate coated and perhaps fluted barrel you will have a tac driver sub MOA. 308 is a prolific round
and plenty of ease to find if TEOTWAWKI happens ( The end of the world as we know it). where you will be less worried trying to find ammo for a .308 than 6.5 Creedmoor. Call it your all purpose go to rifle for bear, moose, elk, mule deer and white tail or coyotes and hogs. If you want to really have a superb rifle from your build I recommend CRADDOCK PRECISION ( Paul Craddock USMC in Tennessee.) https://craddockprecision.com/
Go with a Bartlein Barrel nitrate coated inside and out. Call Paul and discuss with him. You will be delighted.

This is my Armalite 7.62 x 51 AR10T match to see the potential for your build. (Barrel and Trigger group are critical)
Don't skip on components as you assemble it. It is not the few things you do but rather the sum total of all the little
things you do to enhance your expectations for a tac driver. As much as we love them my wife and I will soon be selling ours.
I have both and both are great rounds. Mine are identical Aro Precision matched pair, 24" Craddock Percision Bartlien fluted barrels, Timney Calvin Elite trigger set at 1.2 lbs, Silent Capture Spring, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor little more accurate and versatile.

Attachments

• IMG_6916.JPEG
    IMG_6916.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
I have both, a Critterion 22" HB 6.5 CM and a couple of 308s with 16" and 18" barrels.

The 6.5 shoots a bit softer but it also weighs a lot more. It is also a bit flatter.

My 18" 308 is ammo picky but my 16" shoots everything well or better. The 16" also o my has a large muzzle brake ( I used the rifle for 3 Gun) and is about as soft as the 6.5.

My 200 yd groups are actually about equal with the 6.5 and the 16" at around 1.25".

I pretty much use each for deer hunting a large hayfield where shots can reach 600 yds. My 6.5 load is factory Hornady 143 ELD-X. My .308 uses a 178 gr A-Max.

Hunting results go to the .308. Very few deer run after being hit with the .308 while every deer I have shot with the 6.5 ran maybe 40 yds. Same results no matter how far the shot is.

Like others suggested, get one rifle and two uppers. Takes up less room in the safe that way too.

I like both, but for the longer ranges it's all about wind. The 6.5CM ballistics gets the nod. Splitting the difference, I will say that I'm quite partial to my 13 year old Remington R25(DPMS AR10) /7mm08 that has continued to feed/cycle flawlessly, and shoots in the .5MOA range. Only mod was a trigger change to a 2 stage RRA w/JP spring.
64F8682E-E3E0-4FAB-8BA1-460BBD48B04D.jpegC1CED067-FDB0-4451-B1C6-C4A02CC458C0.jpeg