26C0FB8E-2BCB-4D61-BD89-24E76C355CD3.jpeg
BC3F7E59-324E-4B7B-A637-BE43757C88E7.jpeg
65539000-41FE-4CE5-AE21-ECBEA4C05AA1.jpeg
49E25A1F-9560-41A1-8A25-2A793AB91529.jpeg
9D8E21DF-1333-4CCE-818B-32D214668C32.jpeg
56B95C30-111D-4012-A73B-348A1EF971AC.jpeg
4184733C-3982-4552-9A96-E18789CA021A.jpeg

I beg to differ..

You didn't leave an option for "Other"... I wouldn't suggest either of those. Especially not an AR10 for precision accuracy. I love my AR's, but they're never going to be precision rifles like my bolt guns.

Here's my recommendation if you want something in 6.5CM...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/price_match_open/1/products_id/42441/Remington+Firearms+85198+700+5-R+Gen+2+Bolt+6.5+Creedmoor+24+4+1+Synthetic+HS

Also, they're never going to pass that H.R. 7115 bill. It's too draconian, and to infringing.

Last edited:
Great question. Simple answer.
I love my Lr308 chambered in 6.5 CM however I would have gone with bolt if I did it over. Easier to carry. Easier to conserve ammo. And the ar is finicky when reloading. I have not found a perfect reload formula. Hornady builds a great round

Build your own. But not AR-10, do LR308, as you were cautioned earlier the AR-10 is not standardized. LR308 is DPMS and AR-10 is Armalite, but if you need help there is a site full of ravenous helpers. https://forum.308ar.com/ But I voted for AR-10 because other does say much. The most cost effective source for compatible parts is Aero Precision. As for accuracy the real issue is bullet concentricity. Chambering in a semi-auto can be brutal to bullet tips and seating. In a 6.5CM a Hornady White tail SP will give you 7 MOA accuracy because of bullet tip obturation during chambering. A Sellier and Beloit FMJ BT will give you 0.7 MOA. The barrel is important. A 24" 5R 1:8 with R+2 gas system in 6.5CM will work well out to 1450 yards with commercial ammo. Yup Ubetcha they are heavier. Especially with the Hbar fluted barrel designs. GO FOR IT
3 Amegios.JPG

That's very impressive. Thats how my 6.8 ar shoots I love it, I'm just unsure about it being a primary hunting rifle. What barrel you running?

Thank you.. Specs on the upper:

Aero precision M5E1 upper receiver in flat dark earth

Aero precision 15" MLOK handguard in flat dark earth

JP low mass bolt carrier group

JP high pressure bolt .062" firing pin

Raptor charging handle

CMMG stainless steel rifle length gas tube

SLR RIFLE WORKS .936 adjustable gas block

Krieger 1:8 4 groove chambered 6.5 creedmoor 22" & threaded 5/8" x 24 tpi
By Robert Gradous.

I don't think the difference in accuracy between a custom AR and an off-the-shelf Tikka are enough to quibble about for hunting, unless you are hunting prairie dogs or similar-sized rodents. For the majority of the ranges that we shoot our non-rodentia the difference between a .5 MOA and 1 MOA is not an issue given the size of the vitals. So from an accuracy standpoint I would give the two platforms a functional tie. One of my key features in a hunting rifle is reliability under all possible hunting conditions I would hate to not be able to shoot a once-in-a-lifetime trophy because of a rifle malfunction. Given the bolt action has fewer moving parts the bolt's reliability is higher. Just based on reliability I will always grab a bolt out of the safe when hunting anytime I might get a chance at a trophy.

I used to shoot non-antlered deer on crop damage permits prior to Michigan's deer hunting season and I probably would have taken out one of my LR308's if I would have had one at the time, as the shooting was a volume issue and no trophies could be taken. I have a bunch of AR's from a 300 Whisper pistol up to a heavy-barrled AR in 308.

Just My Two Cents,
wade

I'd vote for anything but an AR10 for hunting. I built one and try as I might it is still heavy compared to a bolt. Also you probably won't need a 10 or 20 round magazine for hunting if it is even legal.

It's a cool gun and if you want one get one. But since you are going to use it for hunting just know that once you start waking with it that weight is there. It's there for walking it's really there for off hand shooting.

Add the fact that you want to shoot 1000yards so your glass is going to add a fair amount of weight to your build whichever route you go.

I love my T3 and it was a straight shooter right out of the box but there were a couple of upgrades that I made. I replaced with injection molded stock with a Bell and Carlson stock, the fit of the solid aluminum bed is awesome, it overcomes some of the recoil lug design issues people complain about. I also replaced the trigger which was really good with a Timney two stage trigger, so crisp. The T3 has the plastic shroud which I replaced for safety reasons, T3X come with the aluminum shroud. You can turn good into great for a few extra bucks.

FWIW, my T3X superlite in 7-08 was also a shooter even before I upgraded the stock. I upgraded mainly to change bottom metal to AICS. It holds 1/2 moa or better with everything from Core lokt to precision hunter ammo, I haven't even tried loading for it yet....

Looking for advise and opinions. I am looking for a rifle for antelope hunts and to eventually get into shooting 1000yds. But it will primarily be for hunting. As of now I do not reload so I have decided on 6.5 creedmore. I want a relatively light rifle but still capable for long range and bench shooting. I had fully decided on the tikka ctr until I read about the H.R. 7115 (house bill designed to ban building ars and lower parts kits). Kind of want to build one while I can. I know the ar10 will be heavier and it will cost more to build the way I want. Do you think I should go with the tikka or the ar10.
I just finished a build with a Rem 700 .308. I ordered a Schneider 6.5CM, 26"Sendero barrel contour, 1:7"T, P5 rifling and Trigger Tech 1-3.5# trigger. . It's amazing the attachment is a 500 yard / 5 shot group win Berger 140 VLD and 41.0 gr H4350, 210M primer [ 2725FPS]. I'm amazed at the Schneider barrel . Note: The 1st shot was low due to round jamming in the action and messing p the point. PS: it's in a McMillan A2 stock ( forgot to add that)

Attachments

• 11192018 500yd 5 shot group.JPG
    11192018 500yd 5 shot group.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts