Ar10 .308

patrick021

looking to build a ar10 .308 mainly for target shooting may hunt on occasions wondering what size barrel and length do you suggest thanks

It all depends on how far you want to shoot at your targets. I'm a big fan of a 20" barrel for an ar-10. Having said that, I have a POF P308 with a 16" barrel. I have been very impressed with it out to 600 yards.

I was thinking about a 20" barrel . Is there a certain barrel you recommend?

I'm active duty army and my Smith is a retired army sniper. I personally have no other experience than what he recommends. All my custom rifles run shilen, because that's the only barrel manufacturer he uses for custom builds. I trust him, so I am at the mercy of him.

So far all 5 of my custom rifles are .5 MOA or less shooters. That includes my fully custom AR15. That's my only real experience though.

Highly recommend criterion 20" M110 barrel. Great barrel reasonable price plus perfect length. Anything less than 20" (maybe 18") is losing too much IMO for any longer range work. Im sure you will hear someone say they shoot 1000 yds all day with their 16" carbine, yes it will go that far but so will a 22LR, doesnt mean its a good idea. If you are not looking to go past 600yds do the 18" model.

I started out trying to do both hunt and target shoot with one ar10 and just gave up and bought another one and another and then another lol My bench ar10 wound up being far to heavy to haul through the draws and creek bottoms

I know the OP probably has long since made up his mind. With that said, my recommendation is is a 20 inch criterion, chrome lined, hybrid profile barrel. These barrels are hand lapped, and have a sub MOA service life on the order of 20,000 rounds. The 308 has what criterion calls an M118LR chamber. The way I understand this is that its the 7.62 version of a 223 wylde chamber. If these barrels shoot as well the hand lapped barrel on my 223, I can't wait to get my own.

I have had success using one 308 rifle. You have to realize that one rifle can't do all things for you. Your success will be directly tied to your demands from the platform you're using. I use an Aero Precision .308 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel. I have a Geissele 2 stage trigger in it. I have made first round cold bore shots on 7" steel at 450 yards and rang the steel at 833 yards numerous times. I had my Nightforce 5.5-22x50 mounted for the distance shooting. But, I have mounted a Burris MTAC red dot and killed large wild boars in the woods. (On the ground with them charging. Not from a stand.) Testimony that the rifle works well in both settings. You hunt deer and Elk. You defend yourself against large mad boars. The rifle performed well.

have, both the AR and an HK 91. And I no longer do. One hunt was more than enough to convince me.

Its not that they are in any way inadequate, I just see no reason to carry around a rifle that weighs between a third and half again what it needs to.

In my area, to legally hunt deer/big game with a semi, there is a 5rnd mag limit (game law, not direct gun control law). So there's no point to a 20rnd mag, and its loaded weight.

Without looking it up, the AR goes what, 9lbs+? depending on what the exact configuration is. For regular big game hunting, I much prefer a rifle in the 7lb weight range, all up with scope, and lighter if I can get it.

It might not seem like much of a difference but trust me, when you are carrying it in your hands, and/or on your shoulder, and covering miles on foot, it is a BIG difference by the end of the day

Out of rock creek krieger and shilen on ar rifles I liked the shilen the least. It is also the only one that was button rifled and not cut rifled, not that that affects accuracy as I've got a couple button rifled barrels I love. The rock creek and krieger barrels shot nearly the same and both did well. The shilen had trouble holding an moa at 100 yds alot of the time with any load. Just my person observations.

My AR-10 has a 16 inch chrome lined Criterion hybrid contour barrel. It is easy to hunt with as it is not too front heavy but still can get 2600 FPS with 168s and 2550 with 175-178s. For me these velocities are more than enough for up to 600 yards.

For my intents and purposes the 16 inch barrel is ideal as when you talk a longer or heavier profile the rifle becomes cumbersome and not something that I would walk around with.

My AR 308 built with Aero Precision parts has an 18 BA barrel on it. It's been a great shooter for me. I have hit consistently at 833 yds with the 168 gr bthp's. I have hit at 1000 with it, but it is highly wind sensitive. It wears a nightforce NXS when shooting distant targets. I switch to a burris red dot for close in faster stuff. Got two wild boars with it at shorter ranges. I think the 18" barrel is a good compromise. Still right at 2600 with the 168's and 2550 with the 178 gr ELD-X

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts