AR reloading

britz

I am considering purchasing an DPMS AR for varmint hunting and for sport shooting. I have heard that they are very hard to load for, is this true?

Do you have to crimp all your loads and load at the absolute max to make the rifles cycle?

Any reports on the accuracy and range of the 5.56 for prairy dogs?

I am considering purchasing an DPMS AR for varmint hunting and for sport shooting. I have heard that they are very hard to load for, is this true?

Do you have to crimp all your loads and load at the absolute max to make the rifles cycle?

Any reports on the accuracy and range of the 5.56 for prairy dogs?

AR's are not hard to load for. I don't own a DPMS but do a couple of colts. I have no problems with midrange or even lower loads in the guns. I do crimp the bullets. I have shot most wieghts of bullets from 40 to 80. As far as accuracy from the DPMS, I can't say. I have seen AR's that shoot into way less than moa, though.
I don't shoot pd's with my AR's but my longest shot with the 223 is 452y measured with a lrf.

I have a Rock River 24" Varmiter & it is easy to load for. I don't crimp at all, &
I have no problems with that. RRA guarantees 3/4" groups but mine shoots sub 1/2" 5 shot groups with 77 SMK & 60V-Max. I have heard good things about DPMS, but I don't know. As far as distance for PD's, I think the bullet, optics & more importantly wind will determine that, but 400-500 yards should be no biggie depending on wind mostly.

Yep the AR's are no harder to load for than any othe gun , I don't personaly crimp my reloads for mine but my expander button has been worked down a little so the neck tension is realy tight. I reload for a couple of mine one is a 6mm-223 and the other is a 223. All of my guns have a 5.56mm NATO spec chamber and I use a FL 223 reloading die with no problems , but this does cause the brass to wear out pretty quick.

I can hit a 5 gallon bucket consistantly with a 14.5" barreled M4 with and Eotech site at 500yds with factory loaded 77gr ammo from black hills , the gun is a factory Rock River Arms. My other AR's will shoot alot better due to their higher power scopes and longer barrels , the one that I built with a 24" 1-7 twist Rock Creek barrel will hold MOA out to 700yds with a 10x scope and shoots under 1/2 moa consistantly to 400yds with hand loaded 80gr SMK's, so yes AR's can be made very accurate

DPMS makes some good guns but you can generaly put one togther for less money. , I have a couple buddies that have guns they put together from Model 1 sales and they shoot very well , under MOA

Model 1 is a company that sells AR's and AR parts , you can order a complete rifle from them or just parts , upers , lowers and so on , they have alot of differany variations you can add and use to modify your gun. They advertise in EVERY "Shotgun News" magazine. their are a few other companies that offer the same service , I'll bring home a Shotgun News from work and post all the contact info if you like.

Personaly the best lower I have seen was from Double Star , it made from 7075 Aluminum wich is alot stronger than 6061 that most everybody else uses and the desgine is a little more beffy built , just reinforced in a few areas , not that the lower sees any real stress and needs to be that much stronger but why take a chance , its totaly mil-spec so any other AR parts will plug into it.

Thanks for the infoe, I just looked at DPMS's catolog and Bushmaster'sand they do use 7075 t6 Aircraft aluminum alloy for their upper and lower recievers so at least we know that they are not hacks' LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.