AR mods for accuracy

KSB209

I have a couple ARs. One is for the zombie apocalypse with all the goodies. I have another that shoots 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards. What would you do to make it a "shooter" ?

I have replaced the trigger and was thinking the barrel next but looking for advice. What are the 2 or 3 most common things you do for these rifles to gain accuracy? When I do my part my bolt rifles are easily sub MOA and I would love to have a semi auto that can shoot well. So….what mods would help increase accuracy?

Let us know what you're starting with, but the basics are a good barrel, square the upper, use a free float tube, and the less contact the gas tube has with anything the better. Meaning make sure it's centered up going thru the upper and into the gas key on the bcg. I prefer clamp on gas blocks.

If you can get 1 Moa with a gas gun you are doing well. What caliber do you have?
We haven't made any ARs from start , but looking to do so in the future. All our builds are Bolt Actions
We had several ARs and the one we liked the most was from Rock River in the Fred Echiler Coyote 223/5.56 Wylde. Just had a new 20" Cryo SS barrel put on. It came with a two stage trigger. I cleaned & polished everything up in the trigger and bolt.
With Lapua Brass, H-4895 and 65 gr SGK - Supressed with YHM Can and gettin 1/3 MOA. This is our Main Coyote Rig and took it to South Dakota for PDs . Was shooting those P dogs out to 3-400 yds all day long.
Keep us informed on your components, assembly, and group sizes with Load Data.

I would suggest upgrading your trigger, barrel, and ammo.

This is spot on.

Keep in mind that AR's were designed for practical/combat accuracy not precision. If you want accuracy look at a stainless steel barrel as opposed to a high carbon or Cold Hammer Forged barrel which are meant to be durable for high round count but typically have a chrome or similar coating on the bore which can be inconsistent. Free float the barrel for best accuracy just like a bolt gun.

Triggers make a big difference, there are plenty of good triggers out there but I tend to go Geissele for my guns that may save my life one day. Trigger Tech has some offerings I would consider for a precision build.

Good ammo is good ammo. Lots of ammo out there is 55gr which is meant to be shot out of a 1:12 twist barrel but most AR's on the market have a 1:7 or 1:9 twist barrel for use with heavier bullets. Make sure you are matching the appropriate weight to your twist.

Lastly just make sure there is a good overall fitment of parts. AR's weakest point in my opinion is the front of the receiver where the barrel and the receiver and the handguard are all trying to thread and clamp together. Make sure everything there is good and tight, or eliminate it with some kind of monolithic upper.

The rifle I have is a Stag Arms chambered in 556. It's a piston system not a DI. I did instal a Geissele trigger and it feels nice. I'm thinking next will be the barrel but not sure which manufacture yet. 1-8 twist to shoot 55-77 grain bullets is what I was thinking.

I'm not looking for a 1/2 MOA rifle but consistent MOA would be a great improvement on what I have now.

Good read

Maximizing The AR-15: A former military armorer reveals his secrets for cutting AR-15 group sizes in half. - Free Online Library
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Maximizing+The+AR-15:+A+former+military+armorer+reveals+his+secrets...-a0520713898
Joe Carlos is very knowledgeable on tuning AR's. I have several articles he wrote on accuracy tuning the AR platform. He has mentioned timing of the muzzle device and adjusting the amount of ft lb tourqe on the barrel nut. I have found both of the mentioned items very easily adjusted to obtain consistant preformance as long as you use the correct ammo for your barrel twist. With any rifle there is no quick trick to best preformance and accuracy, fit and timing of all parts will all play on stacking tolerances. I have tuned several AR's that came in the shop with accuracy issues, some take more time to figure out while others are quick to tune.

If I may, I would suggest a Shilen match h-bar profile. 20" in 223 Wylde. It's a 1:8 twist and I run 77 grain Nosler RDF's through it. True the face of the upper. Free float hand guard, as already suggested. Take up any slack between the upper and lower with a rubber button. Add a good trigger. This has worked for me, shooting 600 yard prone matches with a 4x optic. YMMV. Good luck, and have fun.

I have a Bushmaster Varminter very similar to the Rock River Coyote it is very accurate. Not sure if they make them anymore.

I have a Bushmaster Varminter very similar to the Rock River Coyote it is very accurate. Not sure if they make them anymore.
Rock River totaly changed their Sales Platform. They have .204 up to .338LM in semi auto. No more of the Signature Rifles like "Fred Eichler" or "Coyote Hunter". All their ARs look like all the other commerical models on the market.
Really like our Fred Eichler withthe Coyote Paw Prints Laser cut into the barrel shroud.
I am sure that they still make very accurate ARs.