AR Build

gear head

Getting ready for my next build, and need info on who's heavy or thick walled billet upper and lower receiver sets would be the best choice. And which would be stronger and better for the build. 6061 or 7075 aluminum. Gun will be used for target and hunting. Heavy match barrel 20" to 24" two stage trigger, forward grip free float tube, clamp on gas block and long distance rifle scope. any info or articles would be very appreciated. THANKS AND KEEP THEM IN THE RED !gun)

Here are some pics of one I just put together. The only thing lacking is the flash suppressor and sights. I've only run five rounds through it for a function check as fast as I could squeeze the trigger, with nary a hiccup.

Stiller Precision Predator XT Billet Lower
VLTOR MUR-1 upper
18" Black Hole mid-length barrel
Geissle SSA-E trigger
Spike's Tactical BCG
13" Troy Tactical Hand guard
Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging handle

Have some Coyote Alumihyde en route for the grip and buttstock.

John

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

Hondo,

Pretty, pretty rifle!
How do you like the forend? I'm thinking about something smooth, light, thin with a patch of rail for the bipod.

gearhead,
you crack me up. remind me of myself one year ago. Only problem is the parts situation is far worse than 12 months ago. If you can find anything it will be the overpriced stuff, or the crappy stuff.

Everything is SOLD OUT for months, some manufactures are posting a years back order for AR parts.

You should go the M4.net and 68forum, ARFCOM people are not as nice as those forums. Look at JoeBobs.com and all the other sites. Sign up for their daily deals, I got a $230 Geiselle SSA-E trigger for $180 with free shipping and no tax from a PSA daily deal.

Good luck, I now have 2 ARs that shoot sub MOA at 200 yards.

I here you on the current situation. I've got a 308 & 6x45 build i'm about to throw in the towel on. I'm not paying what these gouge happy SOB's are wanting.

The hand guard seems fine. I like the rail segments, which you can use, or not use as desired and position them where you need them. Kinda wish I had bought a 15" hand guard instead of a 13" but I think it will do...

Have a Burris 1-4 MTAC and Warne RAMP mount enroute. As soon as it warms up enough, I'll paint the buttstock and grip and it will be done.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.