AR 500 steel for Hammer bullet?

I'll stand by my speed comments. I've been able to zip anything through steel with enough speed. Cup core or even my 400gr lasers at 3180fps out of my allen mag don't go through but bend it. Seems somewhere between 3300-3400 impact velocity is when it ruins steel.

My buddy shot a 3/8" mild steel plate at 400 yards with a 6.5/300W and it looked like a torch cut 3/4" hole! Didn't leave a dent with AR500 at 200.
I have 1/2" AR 500... perhaps why no dent.
6.5/300W is an extremely impressive looking round! Looks like a coke bottle with a straw in it! LoL!
I don't have a need for it though.

AR500 should definitely be more than enough to stand up to most anything you throw at it when used right. Mild steel, or generic steel plate (A36) , is far too soft and will promptly become Swiss cheese. Even up in the 1" thickness range. "AR" stands for abrasion resistant, the following number is the Brinell hardness. So the higher the number the harder the material. I have several gongs from 3/8" 450 brinell steel that have soaked up thousands of hits from anything up to 300wm and 45/70 as close as 100yds. they have some very minor dimpling but are just as good as the day I brought them home. The ticket is to hang them. If you line up straight and mount the plate solid, you can punch a hole in even AR550. Let it swing and AR plate should last a very long time