AR-50 Velocity. I need to know what velocity i should be getting with my new AR-50 50 BMG

DanM55

Hi, if there is any fellow ar50 shooters please let me know what velocity i should except with any types of ammunition. Im specificly interested in hornady AMAX. But any information would be appreciated. thank you. I cant find anywhere a list of velocities. and ive posted on other sites. Nobody seems to know. I have some ammo to load but im also just curious. I have yet to shoot the thing. Another person said he was getting pretty low velocity about 2400 FPS but that was with his hand loads i believe. Im curious about other rounds such as pulled api/apit/ap and ball ammo as well.

I tried posting this question on snipershide and all i got was ppl making fun of me and leaving rude comments. I wouldnt recommend anyone use that site ever. usually ppl in these types of communitys are very friendly especialy towards new shooters like myself but i was astonished by the ammount of hate i received. Ive never seen anything like it. even the owner joined in to make me feel dumb.

Welcome from Colorado. I hope that you will find a great community of shooters here, and perhaps someone who will be able to answer this - and many other questions.

I would also let you know that if you'd like to post an introductory message in the "New Members" section, you'd probably get a warm welcome as well as giving the folks here an idea of who you are and what type of shooting you are into.

Hope you get the info that you are looking for, and again, welcome.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. I will try to find to post that info. right now. The reason why im here is to look into long range shooting because its something ive never done before. Im just starting into shooting 338 LM and .50 BMG. and im new to the forum and forums in general.

There is a entire thread about you on SnipersHide!!lol You may want to be more specific in your questions. All ammo velocity depends on several factors and most people (if not all) will need much more information than what you are providing. Just giving some friendly advise.

I have had 2 of the high end 50 caliber rifles and they are more of a novelty than useful for around here so I just built a 338 lapua then a 300PRC.

Yea that is true lol. Theres not many places to even shoot. I went with a budget set up with and ar50 and savage 110 338. I just cant find anything about what kind of velocity ppl get. When i had a berrett m82 the data was everywere. Except for the 20 inch. As for the thread about me i dont really even want to know. If you look at the responses i got to my post it was pretty rude. The one person said i sounded like i am crying in all my posts. And made fun if me for not having 308 brass...

Yes thank you i appreciate any information i can get a lot. Its not easy to find information about long range shooting since not many ppl do it outside of the military. I could always just shoot a few rounds thru the chrono.

Been more than 15 years since i reloaded for the 50 and 375 bmgs but 2400 seams slow.
A quick check on the Hodgdon reloading site wil give you some info https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Back in the day we used surplus 872 and 860(still have a keg of this coal) and pulled bullets of all sorts. Even 25 years ago putting the fear of god on a barn was easy and even a prairie dog or two over 2000 yards

Here is a link to see velocities related to barrel length for the 50bmg.

Each gun and barrel will be different anyway

Last edited:
The AR 50 is a bolt action rifle made by Armalite.
I have one in left hand, I have only shot it 800-1100 yards.
Unfortunately, I never chronographed it with the 660 grain mil surplus or the 750 gr Hornady Amax.
I agree with the previous post, it is extremely tough to find a place to shoot it.

@DanM55 : Look up Kirby Allen; he posts under "Fiftydriver." In particular, look for his discussion thread about the Serbu BFG-50A. Kirby discusses a 50 BMG load using A-Max's and a slightly compressed fill of WC-860 (IIRC). For a range of fills, he reported MV's in the range of 2500 to 2650 FPS out of a 26" barrel. Note also that the BFG-50A is an autoloader. The velocity increments per barrel length shown in the Lilja article referenced above are consistent with other literature sources that I've read, so correcting for a 30" barrel should add about 80 FPS, thus a "back of the envelope" estimate would be at least 2580 to 2730 FPS. I say "at least" to account for the difference between an autoloader and a bolt action.

Kirby builds custom rifles (Allen Precision Shooting) and, in the past, he has been friendly and helpful, so he may be willing to share other 50 BMG data with you if you ask. Hope that this helps you...

Recent Posts