AR-30 Accuracy

drunkkajun

Well I finally signed up after following this forum for several months. I have a rifle that may qualify for long range but not ultra long range. Got a great deal on the Armalite AR-30 in 338 Lapua, ($900 walking out the door). Put a Leupold Tactical M1 8.5-25X scope on it. Average of eight 500 yard 5 shot groups with the 300 MKings and 92 Grains of H1000 was 4.723". On a calm day I shot several 120 yard 5 shot groups in the .4-.5" range. Trigger was adjusted by a smith from 11#'s from the factory to just over 2#'s with no creep for $30. Glad to be on board this great forum.

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: drunkkajun ]

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: drunkkajun ]

drunkkajun,

Glad to see you're happy with yours too, and welcome to the forum here. I think they had some a while back for about that price up here too but they went up from the indroductory price.

The AR-30 is a real sweet deal for the price, and I probably would have bought the 338 Lapua had I really known how well they shot...

Good luck with it, and thanks for posting!
smile.gif

i looked at a ar-30 in 338 lapua today it was 1500.i don't need it but had it been 900 i would have it now.what are you sending 250 grains down range at im getting 3036 with my 338 ultra mag.still i might end up with one.let me know how it shoots ,thanks,keith

Shot the 250's right at 3000 fps my first time out (while the trigger was at 11#'s). After 50 rounds my finger was actually sore because as you know the AR30 has a very narrow trigger. Also had a BSA Platinum scope on the rifle for the first 50 rounds (pretty good for a paperweight and not much else) while I saved up some $$$ for the Tactical Leupold. Accuracy was in the 2.5"-4" range at 200 and 300 yards. I am certain the rifle will do better with the 250's than that now that I have the M1 on top and the trigger dialed in.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.