AR 30 .338 Lapua

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
My old man has been talking about this thing for quite some time now. The gun is basically new. I think it has had six shots fired thorough it. It comes w/40 pieces of new brass, and 2 boxes of some kind of factory ammo. It has a cheap *** leatherwood scope and the ArmaLite brake on it. He has the guy down to $1000 for the whole scha-bang.

Is this a good buy? What can he expect for accuracy? Can you build off of this action?

If he buys this thing, he will be stuck w/it. There is just not much market for that sorta thing around here. If it is a good action, then it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe I could convince him to turn it into a 7mm AM!!!

you bet good price, love mine, you can always use the letherwood ad a fishing sinker

64024316.jpg

Bill,

I have been impressed with the AR-30s I have played with. Only thing I would really change would be to add a larger cheek piece and to be honest a heavier contour barrel.

As far as looks go, they are what they are. The brake is ugly as a mud duck but I will tell you it is one of the most efficent brakes on the market.

TO answer your question on about if they can be used to build something on, My AR-50 will be here Wednesday next week. Plans for it are to tear down, totally accurize and rebarrel with a Lilja 34" stainless chambered in 510 Allen.

The AR-30 would be a great receiver to build on. Nothing pretty but has a good bedding design, strong receiver and uses Rem style triggers for a great trigger pull. When used with a quality bipod these rifles are quite steady for long range use and accuracy is generally 1/2 moa with quality ammo in my experience. With a rebarrel and accurizing job, they certainly will do this.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

ps. Yes the 7mm AM would be a drop in conversion!!

That's an awesome price. They run 1200-1500 new. Very accurate and a lot of gun for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.