ar-15

yoda

i have a ar and want to shoot a 90 gr bullet out of it can i put these in the mag or do i have to shoot it as a single shot

Yoda,

strictly a single shot propostion there, and that goes for the 80-82 grain bullets as well. These were both designed for the 600 yard stage of National Match type shooting. This is all done slow-fire, single loading the rifle with one round at a time. As a result, the OAL was irrelevant and allowed the makers to get away with the added length in the interest of vastly improved performance.

If you want to run the rounds through the magazine in semi-auto mode, you'll need to go with something like the various 69-77 grain offereings that use a somewhat blunter (roughly a 7 caliber) ogive.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

You will also have to have a 7 inch twist for those 90 gr bullets. 8 twist will work for the 77 to 80 gr (single shot). I shoot the 69 Sierra with Varget through the magazine in a 9 twist that is really accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts