Ar 15

crappiedan

I've decided I'd like to purchase one. My main objective would be coyotes @ 100 yards BUT I'd like to have all the accuracy I can get. I don't mind to pay more if I'm getting more out of the performance. I won't be spraying lots of rounds so I don't need anything special to make the barrel last. I know very little in the ar department. So educate me and sell me an AR. Thanks

Coyotes at 100 yards, I think any AR15 can handle fine. Most AR's will get to 1 inch groups if you hand load.

Many times the more expensive AR's you're paying for the furniture. Meaning, the stock, etc.

There are some AR15's available in the $500-$600 range that are still plenty capable and have great reviews.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy one right away that has the furniture you want and is already free floated, if you know you will want to do that stuff eventually.

I actually prefer AR's without the forward assist on the upper. I'm not going into battle with the rifle and not having it saves on weight. However, I do think I am in the minority with my opinion on that. You can find AR's that are under 6lbs for sure.

AR's are a very individual thing. They are fun to modify, analogous to owning a Jeep Wrangler.

Prepare yourself for a level of firearm elitism that you have not experienced before. You may be ostracized if you purchase an AR that is not considered "cool" by the right crowd of folks. Just laugh them off.

You can have a pretty nice trigger for under $30 in parts. You can have a really nice trigger for around $50 in parts. Or you can buy a drop in trigger from a company for over $200+.

From what you described, I would not go with a chrome moly lined barrel.

If you reload, get something to catch your brass right away. Like a Caldwell brass catcher or something.

AR's are a lot of fun. You will love it, no matter what you end up purchasing.

Coyotes at 100 yards, I think any AR15 can handle fine. Most AR's will get to 1 inch groups if you hand load.

Many times the more expensive AR's you're paying for the furniture. Meaning, the stock, etc.

There are some AR15's available in the $500-$600 range that are still plenty capable and have great reviews.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy one right away that has the furniture you want and is already free floated, if you know you will want to do that stuff eventually.

I actually prefer AR's without the forward assist on the upper. I'm not going into battle with the rifle and not having it saves on weight. However, I do think I am in the minority with my opinion on that. You can find AR's that are under 6lbs for sure.

AR's are a very individual thing. They are fun to modify, analogous to owning a Jeep Wrangler.

Prepare yourself for a level of firearm elitism that you have not experienced before. You may be ostracized if you purchase an AR that is not considered "cool" by the right crowd of folks. Just laugh them off.

You can have a pretty nice trigger for under $30 in parts. You can have a really nice trigger for around $50 in parts. Or you can buy a drop in trigger from a company for over $200+.

From what you described, I would not go with a chrome moly lined barrel.

If you reload, get something to catch your brass right away. Like a Caldwell brass catcher or something.

AR's are a lot of fun. You will love it, no matter what you end up purchasing.

be careful! These things are addicting. Like a kid with a new .22 rifle. In fact that is what they are a souped up .22.

They are so much fun to build and accessorize it is easy to get carried away.

As far as accuracy is concerned an AR-15 that will consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yrds is special. Whatever one you get will be fine for taking out coyotes out to a hundred yards.

Just get a standard AR-15 from a reputable manufacturer. I like Palmetto States Armory. Good pricing and quality guns. I bet there are 100 ar manufacturers.

after you have it a while you will begin to see what you really want.

Lego's for men I started with one now I have six and another in the works. They claim stainless barrels are more accurate than carbon steel also there are three diffrent chambers you can get 223 Rem, NATO, and 223 Wylde. 223 Rem is the most accurate NATO the least. The Wylde is a NATO chamber with a 223 Rem neck area there is a very good argument that the Wylde is THE way to go. I have all three I would take 223Rem or Wylde any time for accuracy NATO tends to be more finicky about the loads it shoots well in my experience. If your spray and pray shooting chrome lined NATO is the way to go. Free float handguard's are more conducive to accuracy also but I've shot sub MOA groups with conventional handguard's this is no deal breaker. Any better than mil spec trigger is going to be a great improvement in the accuracy arena a six pound creepy trigger is good for keeping our 19 year old troops from shooting themselves under extream stress not that great from the bench.

As Kansas says legos for men. Consider building one from parts it's not as hard as you'd think and it sure is satisfying when it shoots better than most of the factory guns out there. If that's not your thing then a good one to look at would be the Rock River Arms Fred Eichler predator series they look really good and I have heard they are extremely accurate. One thing is fer sure they are fun, once you have one yull wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

I've got a Bushmaster Varmint AR15 with a 24" ss barrel. I didn't like the 2 stage factory trigger, so I replaced it with a Timney single stage trigger set at 3#. This is a very good trigger. I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 X 50mm LR scope on top.
I have less than 100 shots fired through it so far, but it will shoot inside 1" at 200 yards (sub .5 MOA) with the Fed Gold Medal Match 69 grain ammo and with the Fed Premium 55 grain ammo. At 300 yards, the groups with the 69 grain ammo stayed inside 2". This is a shooter.

Good Luck

I appreciate all the replies. There is just so many choices out there it's overwhelming. For the money I was looking at the Rugers and Windham... Any thoughts?

If You're mechanically inclined it's quite fun to build them yourself. If not, sign up for some newsletters and watch for deals. For budget and absolute top notch quality, Aero Precision offers fantastic value. The fit and finish of their products is impeccable. If I were looking to build one on a budget with your requirements I would go straight to Aero precision and get what I need. Their CMV steel barrels are all QPQ (commonly referred to as Nitride and Melonite)and their SS barrels are chambered in 223 Wylde. All of their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage and all of them are guaranteed by BA to shoot sub MOA with match ammo.

This is what I would get from Aero to meet your needs:

Complete lower
AR15 Complete Lower Receiver, Standard - Anodized Black | Aero Precision

Upper with CMV or SS barrel
M4E1 16" 5.56 Mid-Length Complete Upper Receiver | Aero Precision
M4E1 16" .223 Wylde Complete Upper Receiver | Aero Precision

Mil Spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
5.56 BCG w/ Forward Assist, Complete | Aero Precision

Charging Handle
AR15/M4 5.56 Charging Handle | Aero Precision

Plus, if you're eligible, you can sign up for an LEO/Mil discount to get a 10% discount. And you get the discount even if the parts are on sale.

I can't speak for the Ruger or Windham I don't have either my inlaw has a Ruger Precision rifle that drives tacks but I don't know about there AR's. For stripped lowers Fatboytactical.com Anderson lowers are hard to beat. Palmetto State armory for build kits very hard to beat my brother has two of there stainless Freedom's kits and their GTG. JSE Surplus for barrels is a good place if the Palmetto's barreled uppers don't blow up your skirt. I have a couple Giesslie triggers I wouldn't trade for anything.

I can't speak for the Ruger or Windham I don't have either my inlaw has a Ruger Precision rifle that drives tacks but I don't know about there AR's. For stripped lowers Fatboytactical.com Anderson lowers are hard to beat. Palmetto State armory for build kits very hard to beat my brother has two of there stainless Freedom's kits and their GTG. JSE Surplus for barrels is a good place if the Palmetto's barreled uppers don't blow up your skirt. I have a couple Giesslie triggers I wouldn't trade for anything.

I love building them but until you know which way you want to go just get an inexpensive one from a reputable manufacturer. Everyone should own one ar-15 in .223/5.56.

By the time you play with this one a while you will kind of figure out which way you want to go. Heavy barrel precision, SHTF battle rifle, fast and light, short barrel with suppressor, different cal. than the standard .223/5.56 it goes on and on. choices are endless.

By the time you play with this one a while you will kind of figure out which way you want to go. Heavy barrel precision, SHTF battle rifle, fast and light, short barrel with suppressor, different cal. than the standard .223/5.56 it goes on and on. choices are endless.

Haha!!! Once he starts building them, by the time he plays with this one a while there is a good chance he'll have one in every category listed.

I appreciate all the info. I'm not anywhere closer than I was when I started! LOL. I guess I need to just go ahead and buy a complete rifle thats inexpensive and just start playing with it. Thanks

Surprised that no one suggested any of the other calibers, 6.5 Grendel is my favorite as I use it for deer also. Also can be stretched out 800- 900 for targets

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.