AR-15 Triggers

Lots of sage advise here. Better listen to them. It's one thing if you poorly stone a trigger in a bolt gun; not good, but in an auto? Serious trouble ! Very few can stone an AR trigger correctly. Wouldn't trust a young guy on it at all. You need lots and lots of time on the triggers to develop the correct touch. Of all the smiths I've personally known over many years; only ONE could stone a trigger correctly.
If you aren't happy with that triggers pull, creep, overtravel, etc.; pull it out and stick a RR two stage match trigger in. Cost is aprox. $120. and it's the best trigger money you can spend.
charles

Just a note, I installed 4 RRA two stage triggers this weekend on lowers and after cleaning and lubing, not one of them needed any 'tweaking'. They were good to go as is. Money well spent on those IMO.

I just put a Jard 2 lb adjustable in a RRA lower last week. Took a little bit to get adjusted but crap, it is a nice trigger. I have a lot of smooth lightweight triggers on my bolt guns and this is up there with them. Not bad at all. Wanted one of the 2 stage Gisselles, but didn't want to spend the dough. The Jard is pretty good.

I have 2 Jard 2# triggers also. No complaints I like to have single stage to keep the feel like my bolt guns.

I also have a RRA and a Geissele SSA 2 stage. The SSA is hands down a better 2 stage trigger, but you have to pay much more. The RRA is the best value out there and is much better than a stock trigger. If you do some looking you can find RRA for under $100.

I have 2 RRA 2 stage that I'm very fond of. I have a friend who has met Mr Gieselle and has one of his triggers in his competition AR and swears by it. I think I'm gonna drop another RRA in my DPMS AR10 soon. Gotta get the suppressor for my .223 first though.:D

I have a Geiselle SSA trigger on my LR308,works great and it was easy to install,only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.I paid around $160 for it.

I had two factory triggers worked on by Bill Springfield of Colorado Springs. One is @ 2.5 lbs on my grendel and 3 lbs on my beowulf. Both are great no creep and smooth as glass. He does great work and is very reasonable and I can't say enough about how nice of a guy he is. Check him out. www.triggerwork.net

I had two factory triggers worked on by Bill Springfield of Colorado Springs. One is @ 2.5 lbs on my grendel and 3 lbs on my beowulf. Both are great no creep and smooth as glass. He does great work and is very reasonable and I can't say enough about how nice of a guy he is. Check him out. www.triggerwork.net

+1 for Bill. He has done four triggers for me. One two stage RRA, and three single stage RRAs. All work great. The two stage is around 2.75 lbs. And the single stage triggers are much better. All the grit is gone and less movement before it brakes.

I have 2K rounds on one of these triggers and it is still working great.

RRA 2 Stage Rework

I do all my own trigger work. Being a machinist I know the value of precise tolerances. On all of my RRA two stages I polish the contact surfaces ONLY and do not re angle or take material away from these contact surfaces. This lowers the pull on the first stage slightly by 3-4 ounces. I then modify the trigger spring to lower the trigger tension and first/second stage weight. The polishing and trigger spring modifications drop the first stage down to 1 lb. 12 ounces. I then replace the disconnector/second stage let off spring with a lighter one that has been custom wound. This requires punching out the disconnector keeper pin. The spring change on the second stage drops the second stage let off to only 8 ounces. Total pull weight is around 2 lbs. 4 ounces. It's a little light for hunting in cold weather with thick gloves as you can blow through the second stage stop easily but on the bench for precision shooting it is a winner!

I am new to this forum and fairly new to AR's. I just bought a barely used Bushmaster w/ a stainless 18" match barrel. I mounted a Weaver grand slam varmit scope on and am good to go with the exception of the heavy stock trigger. I plan to shoot targets, and varmints by the way.
You all have pointed out all the options for buying a trigger and having one worked on by Bill Springfield, who also sells ready to go 3# trigger assemblys.
My question is, how hard is it to remove the old and install the new? Does RRA, Bushmaster, Timmney, or Giselle come with usable instructions? I don't mind spending $150 more or less to get a good trigger with 3# or slightly less let off.
Thanks for your help guys.

Sounds like a RRA 2-stage is the way to go. I do not own an AR. My buddy lets me use his Rem R-15 pretty often. I'd like to put a trigger in for him, for letting me use it. I'm asuming it is NOT the large pin version, is that correct? We both have most of our bolt action rifles at 2-2.5 lbs. How heavy is the RRA? How light to you guys go who are used to nice light weight bolt action triggers on a semi auto platform?

The Geiselle SSA is a two stage trigger.First stage is two lbs second stage is two and a half lbs.It comes with easy to follow instructions and you don't have to remove your selector/safety. Removing the old trigger is easy,all you have two do is push out the trigger pins and out it comes. I like mine,nice clean break and it didn't empty out my wallet either.

I recently had the Geissele Super 3 Gun installed in my DPMS LR308, it made a tremendous difference over the factory trigger. I like it alot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.