AR-15 slop fix

6pakzak

What do you guys use to take up the slop between the upper and lower of an AR-15, I'm currently using a little rubber thing that goes under the rear pin, wondering if you guys got some better options

Ok, maybe I don't understand something about the AR-15 but I don't see how having slop as opposed to not having slop will shoot the same

Ok, maybe I don't understand something about the AR-15 but I don't see how having slop as opposed to not having slop will shoot the same
I had a big problem with slop when I first started building my own AR's. I bought the over sixed hinge pins and after testing I didn't notice accuracy improvements so now I can live with slop.

Everything is in the upper, bolt, sights, scope, barrel and are held in place to the upper receiver by the barrel nut. The lower only holds the mag and trigger. When firing if everything is held steady, no trigger jerking, too much pressure on butt stock, etc the slop between the upper and lower shouldn't affect grouping. But that being said I also use the rubber things because I don't like a firearm that rattles like an AK does

Accuracy is all in the upper- since the bolt locks directly to the barrell....but I'd you must--- the correct part you are looking for is called an "accu-wedge"
You would be correct accu-wedge is what it's called I just looked it up, but doesn't the bolt lock to the barrel on a bolt gun, so why bed a bolt gun? I'm not saying you're wrong but it doesn't make sense to me, I think you shoot it and it moves a little and now it's in a different spot, the upper, and maybe it can move a little different than the first shot so how it moves and recoils would be slightly different. And why do they make things to address it if it doesn't make any difference?

The receiver in a bolt gun is held by the stock. In the AR it's all in the upper. I wouldn't really sweat it unless you definitely see issues when shooting. Marines get head shots at 200 yards and I doubt all of their firearms have no slop

You would be correct accu-wedge is what it's called I just looked it up, but doesn't the bolt lock to the barrel on a bolt gun, so why bed a bolt gun? I'm not saying you're wrong but it doesn't make sense to me, I think you shoot it and it moves a little and now it's in a different spot, the upper, and maybe it can move a little different than the first shot so how it moves and recoils would be slightly different. And why do they make things to address it if it doesn't make any difference?
No opinion is buy all the gimmicks out there and do testing. You will see it didn't improve accuracy. I done tested all of those gimmicks and wish I had the money back.

What do you guys use to take up the slop between the upper and lower of an AR-15, I'm currently using a little rubber thing that goes under the rear pin, wondering if you guys got some better options
The only real problem with that slop is it bugs the shooter.

Your little rubber bushings are by far the most cost effective way to take it out. If your pin holes are so worn that the slop is there, the oversided pins will significantly reduce it.

More often than not though, that's not where the slop is coming from, it will just be from an inexact fit between the upper and lower.

That's most common when you have Frankenguns, with U/L's made by different manufacturers.

You bed a bolt gun to ensure the action has no stress on it and is not jumping around loose inside of the stock.

An AR Platform Rifle is an entirely different mechanism and preposition.

No, on a bolt gun- the bolt locks to the receiver not barrel ( though receiver screws to barrel)