Nice buck and great memory making time I am sure.

I went back and reread this post. You asked the question about velocity with the 60ish gr. bullets out of 16". In general 2650 fps would be about max safely for ARs. I know people sometimes load hotter than this but shooting those higher pressure rounds in ARs eventually will beat the punk out of the rifle. You can load to higher pressures with bolt rifles. Difference mainly between 223 data and 5.56 data is usually 5.56 is a bit higher on average with powder charges. This is because of the difference in chambers between 223 and 5.56. Basically 5.56 has a longer throat than 223 and will allow higher powder charges with less pressure than shorter throat 223 chambers. A couple good all around from deer size down game bullets are the Sierra 65gr. Game King and Speer's Gold Dot bullets that come in 55, 62 & 75 grs. The Gold Dots are bonded bullets that expand quickly but hold together and pernitrate. They are very accurate bullets and best of all they are cheap in price. Accurate 2520 is a good ball powder for the heaver bullets but is temp sensitive. IMR 8208 and ARComp are also great and they are very temp stable powders. I am getting ready when the weather gets better to start doing work ups for a new AR I built with a 18" Oden Works 223 Wylde chamber. Good luck with your load development.

Nice buck and great memory making time I am sure.

I went back and reread this post. You asked the question about velocity with the 60ish gr. bullets out of 16". In general 2650 fps would be about max safely for ARs. I know people sometimes load hotter than this but shooting those higher pressure rounds in ARs eventually will beat the punk out of the rifle. You can load to higher pressures with bolt rifles. Difference mainly between 223 data and 5.56 data is usually 5.56 is a bit higher on average with powder charges. This is because of the difference in chambers between 223 and 5.56. Basically 5.56 has a longer throat than 223 and will allow higher powder charges with less pressure than shorter throat 223 chambers. A couple good all around from deer size down game bullets are the Sierra 65gr. Game King and Speer's Gold Dot bullets that come in 55, 62 & 75 grs. The Gold Dots are bonded bullets that expand quickly but hold together and pernitrate. They are very accurate bullets and best of all they are cheap in price. Accurate 2520 is a good ball powder for the heaver bullets but is temp sensitive. IMR 8208 and ARComp are also great and they are very temp stable powders. I am getting ready when the weather gets better to start doing work ups for a new AR I built with a 18" Oden Works 223 Wylde chamber. Good luck with your load development.

Thanks RT, I appreciate the input. I didn't get a chance to do any load development before the javelina hunt but plan on getting some done before the next hunt and also for coyotes for the fall. I'll look for those gold dots.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts