AR 15 pistol 300 BO no good

Nuclear Worker

The wife shot 2 deer with her new 300 blackout pistol. Both deer were less than 50 yards standing. Heart shot on both. They ran like not even hit. Thank god we had some snow to track there was no hair no blood nothing. I thought she missed she said no way so I followed tracks and both deer were dead about 75 yards away. No exit wound top of heart blown off. Cavity full of blood. Not happy shooting 150 grain Winchester. Barrel is coming off and 6.5 Grendel is going on. Got talked out of it should have stayed with my original plan.

Sounds like a typical heart shot deer no matter what it was shot with. They are dead but most of the time it takes them running 50 or so yards for that message to get to their brain. If you want to drop them in their tracks use a high front shoulder shot. Yep the 6.5 Grendel is a good one. Killed a deer a couple weeks ago with one. Used a hand loaded 120 Speer Gold Dot, Hornady case, 28 grs IMR 8208, CCI 450 out of my 20" barrel AR does 2550 fps. Smoked the deer at 111 yards. Shot was to center of chest facing me. Deer dropped and did a little break dance and died. The hydrostatic effect of the bullet pulped the heart and lungs and broke the first 2 to 3 ribs on both sides and broke the left scapula but bullet held together going completely through the gut and exited the belly about 6 inches in front of the crotch with about a thumb size hole. I have killed hundreds of deer with about most everything between a stick and 45-70 with many different makers bullets but I have never seen the type of effect that these Gold Dot bullets deliver. It seems that the bullet expands violently upon impact but holds together and exits. The Gold Dots might not have the highest ballistic coefficient but they seem to be awesome killers.

That happens a lot with deer, but I can't blame you. Should have atleast exited...

That 6.5 Grendel should be much more effective.

I'd still keep that .300 BLK barrel, as that is a great cartridge for shooting suppressed with subsonics.

Heart shots are like that. Blood is pumped into the cavity quickly and rarely leaves the body unless you have a large exit hole. That being said I passed on the 300 BO for a Grendel and am very pleased with the results I get on game.

In 300 BO, I have been using the nosler 125gr hunting ballistic tip with good success. My daughter also used it on a 150 lb. Hog and it punched through both shoulders at 50yds. It didn't take a step. You can run those 125s a little faster.

That happens a lot with deer, but I can't blame you. Should have atleast exited...

That 6.5 Grendel should be much more effective.

I'd still keep that .300 BLK barrel, as that is a great cartridge for shooting suppressed with subsonics.
I have had plenty of deer do that what bothers me is no exit wound no hair no blood trail . I have shot deer with a lot of different calibers and always have had a blood trail. To me no exit at 50 yards hence no blood trail is unacceptable for me.

I also have had great results running the 125 Nosler BT in a number of weapons. If impact velocity is 2700 fps and under it has always exited even through both shoulders. I run it in my T/C Contender 14" barrel 30-30AI pistol at 2670 fps and from 25 to 125 yards through both shoulders of a deer and some have been in the 180 lb class I have always had an exit with 99.9% BANG FLOP. That .1% lwas one buck that made it pushing it self about 10 yards with its back legs while chest was on the ground. This is from somewhere between 12 and 24 deer shot. The new 125 Accubond should also be a really good bullet because it holds together after expanding and actually retains more weight that the Partitions most of the time.

The 2 "go to" hunting bullets for 300bo are the nosler 125nbt and the barnes 110 tac-tx

You also said "pistol" in your title but you didn't say how short. Or what velocity. I've personally seen bang flops on white tail out to 326 yards with a 10.5" 300bo with the 110 tactx. Not sure id personally try one that far though.

The 2 "go to" hunting bullets for 300bo are the nosler 125nbt and the barnes 110 tac-tx

You also said "pistol" in your title but you didn't say how short. Or what velocity. I've personally seen bang flops on white tail out to 326 yards with a 10.5" 300bo with the 110 tactx. Not sure id personally try one that far though.
It has a 12 Bartlein barrel. Have a pistol brace on a AR15. Tried the 110 Barnes but the 150 Winchester group better. All are factory ammunition. I can't imagine at 50 yards it would make a difference? I am not a expert but shouldn't any round at that range not hitting bones give you a exit hole and a blood trail? After the same result on 2 deer not much faith in the caliber. If she had made a less than perfect shot and with no snow never would have found those deer. I have more respect for the animals than that caliber is giving me. Like Mud Runner said I will keep the barrel for suppressed fun but am going with the 6.5 Grendel.

Yeah, you think, "Heart shot, that boy is down right there." and then they take a stroll on you. I was super surprised back in August when I shot a 1000lbs eland with a .338WM running 225gn pills pretty fast. The bullet entered in front of the left shoulder, poked a hole in a lung blew the top off half of the heart, poked a hole in the other lung and finally stopped in the offside shoulder. The darned beast casually strolled off 2km and didn't bleed a drop onto the ground on the way. Once it laid down it squirted some blood and lung tissue out of the entry hole which helped tracking. When we finally got the bastard anchored with another shot we put a cut on the throat to drain what blood we could. Not a drop of blood came out of the neck. We opened up the thing later on for processing and 2 gallons of blood poured out so fast I though Sissy Spacek got made prom queen again.

It has a 12 Bartlein barrel. Have a pistol brace on a AR15. Tried the 110 Barnes but the 150 Winchester group better. All are factory ammunition. I can't imagine at 50 yards it would make a difference? I am not a expert but shouldn't any round at that range not hitting bones give you a exit hole and a blood trail? After the same result on 2 deer not much faith in the caliber. If she had made a less than perfect shot and with no snow never would have found those deer. I have more respect for the animals than that caliber is giving me. Like Mud Runner said I will keep the barrel for suppressed fun but am going with the 6.5 Grendel.
Actually no, the closer you are the less chance a cup/core bullet has of penetration. if you dont likethe bullets performance then try a different one. Also look at the energy the bullet has, when hunting with a 300bo pistol you are in the realm of other pistol energy so you should take your shots like you would with any other pistol.
The 300bo is not for everyone, but it works for some. Guys with big calibers and fragmenting bullets dont get complete penetration at close ranges either.

The 6.8spc or 6.5g definately have more energy than a 300bo, but make sure you choose your bullet construction wisely with those also ..I have several 6.8's and there are some bullets I would never hunt with even though they are claimed as hunting rounds.

The 150 deerseason xp claims a "massive bullet impact performance, with rapid expanding tip" -- that tells me it was designed to fragment on impact and you may not see full penetration

Honestly I have no idea I don't have a chrono. I built the pistol set up for my wife to sneak around the cedar swamp. She loves the gun but now has no trust in it. I will be the first to say I have only hunted with factory guns and ammunition my whole life and I'm 54.never had a bullet at 50 yards not leave a blood trail or drop the deer in it's tracks. From my first 20 gauge with old pumpkin slugs to my 12 gauge with sabots my 270 my 30.06 my 7mm08 my 300 WSM my black powder heck even my bow.if I'm wrong please help me but what supposed deer caliber can't punch straight through at 50 yards if you don't hit bone? Not talking about the deer running with heart shot have seen that happen plenty.

So, what was the internal damage like? I'm thinking the same as others, your velocity may have been high enough to blow up the bulelt for some reason. I use the barnes 110TTSX in my 16" 300BO and it's killed a couple deer no problems. I've also nailed a couple deer with a 25-06 and 100gr barnes clipping right along. they'll take a front heart shot and take off like they're on fire. All you have is a 1/4" entry and little to no blood trail because of the impact location. But, then they end up pale and dead because all of the blood is in the chest. I's shoot a lighter copper bullet faster and keep using the gun.