AR-15 jamming after free-float handguard

I was gonna do it but seen they recommend getting that wheeler block to hold the receiver and they said it was free if I bought the handguard from them so I figured that was easier
You can use a wheeler. They do work fine. I would actually recommend a barrel action rod. They run about $60-90-ish. Takes the stress off the upper receiver. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021330574

Brownells sells a pack of gas block aligners. They come in different diameters and calibers depending on the size of the orifice. its plastic, you install in the barrel orifice. Install the gas block, turn upside down and it falls into the gas block allowing you to line it up perfectly. Once the gas block is tightened, a cleaning rod down the bore snaps the aligner in two allowing it to fall out. JUST CONFIRM YOU GET BOTH PIECES OUT.
I tilt the barrel down over a white towel to catch and confirm both pieces are accounted for.
Ive done at least 40-50 so far without any complaints.

862D148A-FA03-4A95-9E7A-D2C44FB51F07.png

I weed out ar gunsmiths by asking them if they can take the barrel extension off and reinstall it for me.....you wouldn't believe how many think that the barrel is all 1 piece--- if they do, not many have the tool to remove it or the knowledge of what the torque spec is.

I find that most AR "gunsmiths" arent even as knowledgeable as military armorors.

I do almost all the work on mine

Most don't realize that bolts should be checked for headspace either.

Almost every gunsmith in my area has lost my respect and business due to lack of knowledge
I asked the manager at Cabela's gun department if he anneals his brass and he said there's no need to it gets annealed Everytime you fire it, he looked embarrassed when I corrected him in front of bunch of customers

I was gonna do it but seen they recommend getting that wheeler block to hold the receiver and they said it was free if I bought the handguard from them so I figured that was easier
FWIW….Two smiths I have used that are excellent with the AR - Compass Lake in Florida and White Oak Armament In Illinois.
Give them a call great folks and competent.

I use dimple tools and at least put one dimple in my barrels normally under the gas port. Then if I decide to change the gas block they will line up. Easiest way is a teslong plus it can be used on any gun. Cheap way spaghetti noddle does and do the same thing as brownells plastic one but everyone has some in the house already Reactor bar is the way to go no stress on the upper for a no frills bar you can get a 556 and 308 for the price of most any other's

I ended up taking the gun back and the father said the gas block is supposed to sit against the cut in the barrel where I moved it, makes sense cause it works fine now but had him double check the alignment since they are around the corner from me, so his son had it lined up wrong, actually surprised it operated sometimes that way as it was pretty far off.

Recent Posts