AR-15 in .458 SOCOM Pros/Cons

BigSkyGP

AR-15 in .458 SOCOM Pros/Cons.

What's to like about .458 SOCOM?

What's not to like about .458 SOCOM?

Standard rifle bullets, 250-350gr with .45-70 Gov performance out of a 14-16 inch barrel!

What about a 20inch barrel?

Moose getter?

There is already a plan A, B, ......!

I reload, that's not an issue. I did the same thing couple yrs ago with the 6.8SPC when there were only two makers with dies. And brass availability, I understand.

I'm looking for opinions/experience advice. Can I use a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system? Since the whole thing was designed for 14-16" barrels.

AR-15 in .458 SOCOM Pros/Cons.

What's to like about .458 SOCOM?

What's not to like about .458 SOCOM?

Standard rifle bullets, 250-350gr with .45-70 Gov performance out of a 14-16 inch barrel!

What about a 20inch barrel?

Moose getter?

There are 3 big bore cartriges for the AR that have there strong points and you will need to
look at all of the advantages and disadvantages of all three and make your decision on that
information.

I went through this and came to a conclusion that best suited My needs for a hog and bad guy
rifle.

There is the .458 Socom, the 450 Bushmaster and the 50 Beowulf.

The Socom shoots the largest bullets, 300,500 at 200ft/sec and 1300 ft/sec and a subsonic
600grain bullet.

The Beowulf uses 325 and 400 grain bullets at 1950 ft/sec and 1800ft/sec.

The 450 Bushmaster uses a 250 grain bullet at 2200 ft sec for 2686 ft/lbs of energy( No
energy's were posted for the Beowulf or the Socom).

Brass was the main issue and trajectories was the next consideration and expansion on game
was another issue.

Brass for the Beowulf and Socom is proprietary and difficult to purchase. the 450 brass
is made by Hornady and is inexpensive Plus you can make it out of 284 Winchester brass
by simply trimming it to length.

Loaded ammo for the Bushmaster is also available and inexpensive.

Regardless which one you chose I would recommend the 20" barrel and a very good Muzzle
Break.

I made My decision for hunting purposes and am very happy with the cartridge and the bullet
performance on game.

The Big bores in an AR are awesome and totally change the AR from tame to mean.

Have fun.

J E CUSTOM

JE, thanks!

I'm military, one reason I'm leaning towards the .458.

I have weighed the .450, and the .50

I have plenty of 5.56/223 magazines, is another reason for .458.

I think I like the bullet selection for the .458 more.

What's your recomendation for a muzzle break? Barrel maker?

Do I need to worry about the buffer spring? Adjustable stock length, and fixed.

JE, thanks!

I'm military, one reason I'm leaning towards the .458.

I have weighed the .450, and the .50

I have plenty of 5.56/223 magazines, is another reason for .458.

I think I like the bullet selection for the .458 more.

What's your recomendation for a muzzle break? Barrel maker?

Do I need to worry about the buffer spring? Adjustable stock length, and fixed.

Most of the uppers come with the proper buffer spring and the correct gas port so unless you
want to reload different loads you will be fine. If you will be loading different loads(Different
port pressures) you might look at installing an adjustable gas block.

For the barrel you can't go wrong with a kriger.

As to the type of break, I would recommend a large port break with baffles (Holland,Muscle,Painkiller
Ross shuller, ETC.)

Also I would go with an adjustable but stock.

Just my recommendations.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks again JE,

All the AR15s I've assembled, ended up with adjustable stocks. I'm pretty short, and the standard stock is okay if I'm in short sleeves, I add a coat, and pack, and/or IOTV and the adjustable is the way to go.

I've been thinking about an adjustable gas block for my 24" 6.8 as well. Being a reloader I just adjusted the powder charge. Thanks for mentioning that.

I've already decided to get a .458SOCOM before this thread. I started it, not just to get other's experience, but to get some info flowing for the other members.

I'm working on polishing my ideas for this project. You have helped a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.