ar-15 cal.options?

I have been pondering this subject of late myself. I have to confirm what was posted here earlier, the 7.62 x 39 has significant feeding/reliability issues in an AR.

I am seriously considering a 6 x 45 for coyote hunting. Here in Western Ok, the wind is ALWAYS blowing and the 223 is the functional equivalent of a ping pong ball past 250 yards. I have plenty of larger calibers and I think the 6 x 45 would fill the gap nicely. Its easy to load too.

I guess one thing I should mention is that I'm not a reloaded as I have enough hobbies I can't afford to keep up with.also I'm not much for sport hunting as here in Kansas you have to know every farmer within 500 miles to be able to hunt. Soi was kinda looking for something that was also easy access, I did do a little looking at the 6.8 and it's looking pretty good . There's a gun show today I might see what they have.

I am seriously considering a 6 x 45 for coyote hunting. Here in Western Ok, the wind is ALWAYS blowing and the 223 is the functional equivalent of a ping pong ball past 250 yards. I have plenty of larger calibers and I think the 6 x 45 would fill the gap nicely. Its easy to load too.

The 6x45 can shoot low drag bullets very well from a short action bolt action with a 2.8" magazine, but in an AR-15 the magazine limits bullet choices. Before you select the 6x45 you might want to consider other 6mm choices. .243" bullets with the same BC at the same muzzle velocity have the same wind deflection as .224" (or other diameter) bullets. To get better wind deflection you either need a higher BC or higher velocity. Compare them with a ballistics calculator if both the BC and velocity aren't equal or higher. Bullet weight is not an indicator of wind performance.

Here are three 6mm cartridges which have available AR-15 barrels and/or uppers. The numbers are case length and case capacity.

6x45 = 1.759" 31.5 grain
6PPC = 1.505" 32 grain similar performance to a 6x45 in a 2.8" magazine.
243 WSSM = 1.663" 53.9 grain similar performance to a 243 Win in a 2.8" magazine.

The 6PPC and 243 WSSM are available in factory uppers from Model 1 Sales and Olympic Arms.
Either can give more downrange energy and less wind deflection than the 6x45 from an AR-15.
AR Stoner (midwayusa) offers a 6x45 AR-15 barrel. Also a 243 Win barrel for a DPMS LR-243.

thanks gents, i made it to the gun show today and low and behold i meet a guy from right here in my area that is building 6.5 grendal and .50 beowulf, good looking guns but high dollar. but we did get to talk about ammo and balistics a little and im thinking that i'm going to go with the 6.5 grendal in my next build. i was origally thinking of the .223 as a dog/hog gun but now im thinking its going to be the plinker upper and build a new upper in the 6.5 with a longer heavy barrel to take over as the dog/hog upper.

Glad you have made a choice. The 6.5 Grendel is a good round for what you want to do. Having said that, I'll say the 25 WSSM is one awesome cartridge! I have a friend who has one and it's not only hard hitting and flat shooting, it's danged accurate! Got a bit of recoil, but I'm a woosie. Someone else said the 243WSSM and I bet it too would be great for you. Personally, I have an AR10 in 260 Rem. and I love it except for the weight. The 260 will out perform the 6.5 but it's in an AR 10. I really think you should give the two WSSMs a good look before committing to the 6.5. Just my 2cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts