AR 15 barrel makers

Tidus56

I have had plenty of bolt barrels made for my guns but never an AR 15 barrel. I have typically just bought a barrel configured the way I wanted for ARs. However this time I am wanting to go a bit higher quality.
I am doing a 6.5 Grendel, hoping to shoot 100 ELD and 123 grain bullets. Not sure which 123 I will use. I was thinking I would do a 20 inch barrel.
Anyone have a barrel maker they have liked for their AR barrels?

Both the Odin barrels I have are 1/2" guns @100 with factory loads. Half that with good loads. I just ordered a barrel from AR Performance. They have some really neat stuff with a stellar reputation.

I also have an Oden Works 18" barrel in 6.5 Grendel that is a great shooter. I am sure that you know this but in case you don't yes the barrel has a great deal to do with AR accuracy but it also depends on how it is installed. Make sure the face of your upper receiver is square and depending on fit you may need to shim or bed the extension into the receiver. Make sure that your gas tube does not touch anything.
The 6.5 Grendel is a great little round. It all depends on what you want to do with it as to barrel length. 20" would also be my choice for a combo of a hunting and target rifle. I have a cheap 20" Bear Creek Arsenal upper that after sending it back for a barrel replacement because it was crap I did get it to shoot sub MOA with hand loads. You should be able to safely reach 2550 fps with 123 gr bullets with the 20" barrel. Don't try to hot rod the Grendel in an AR. By the time you start seeing "pressure signs" like on a bolt rifle you are already WAY over pressure in the AR. I as well as others have not been able to get the Hornady 123 SST bullets to shoot very well no matter what load was used. On the other hand others rifles will shoot bug holes with them. A really slick bullet that many are praising in the Grendel is the Nosler 129 gr Long Range Accubond. It shoots flat and at Grendel velocities it really does a great job on deer they say. I have been using 120 Speer Gold Dots and 120 Sierra Pro Hunters on deer and they work great on the deer I have shot which have been inside 125 yards. The Speer Gold Dot is AWESOME. IMR 8208 is the powder I use and CCI 450 primers. There is a web site forum 65grendel.com that is a good place to get some good tips and information. Have fun.

Last edited:
I also have an Oden Works 18" barrel in 6.5 Grendel that is a great shooter. I am sure that you know this but in case you don't yes the barrel has a great deal to do with AR accuracy but it also depends on how it is installed. Make sure the face of your upper receiver is square and depending on fit you may need to shim or bed the extension into the receiver. Make sure that your gas tube does not touch anything.
The 6.5 Grendel is a great little round. It all depends on what you want to do with it as to barrel length. 20" would also be my choice for a combo of a hunting and target rifle. I have a cheap 20" Bear Creek Arsenal upper that after sending it back for a barrel replacement because it was crap I did get it to shoot sub MOA with hand loads. You should be able to safely reach 2550 fps with 123 gr bullets with the 20" barrel. Don't try to hot rod the Grendel in an AR. By the time you start seeing "pressure signs" like on a bolt rifle you are already WAY over pressure in the AR. I as well as others have not been able to get the Hornady 123 SST bullets to shoot very well no matter what load was used. On the other hand others rifles will shoot bug holes with them. A really slick bullet that many are praising in the Grendel is the Nosler 129 gr Long Range Accubond. It shoots flat and at Grendel velocities it really does a great job on deer they say. I have been using 120 Speer Gold Dots and 120 Sierra Pro Hunters on deer and they work great on the deer I have shot which have been inside 125 yards. The Speer Gold Dot is AWESOME. IMR 8208 is the powder I use and CCI 450 primers. There is a web site forum 65grendel.com that is a good place to get some good tips and information. Have fun.
Very helpful sir! I haven't done a lot with ARs so I appreciate all the help. I was aware that hot rodding an AR isn't the way to go. I decided to do a Grendel so my kids/wife could have a low recoil deer gun. I will also be using it for coyote and targets. The barrel life was one of the main reasons I decided I wanted a good barrel. I might have some questions on the installation of the barrel. I have done a one 223 Wylde but I just installed the barrel and torqued it. Thanks again!

I'm about to send compass lake a rock creek blank, they will contour, drill you preferred port size and location and chamber for a great price. And if you send them your bolt they will headspace it

I am also hearing good things about Criterion barrels. I think I saw some in stock at Joe Bob Outdoors or Primary Arms.
YouTube is full of how to do it AR barrel installing methods.
The 6.5 Grendel is a wonderful deer, pig and coyote weapon. If you need a follow up shot it can be very quick because of the low recoil. With the accuracy of a good set up you most often don't need a follow up shot because those hunting style bullets like 120 BT, Pro Hunter, Gold Dot, 129 LRAccubond etc. retain their velocity and terminal effect is awesome. I do suggest that you also get a brass catcher to mount on your AR. Also a great scope I have found is the Primary Arms 1-8x24 with the ACSS reticle. They also make a 1-6x24 that is less expensive but I like the 8 power for longer shots. They have Illuminated reticle that can be turned down on #1 or 2 and see them and it does not wash out your intended target at low light. Glass is really clear and they have a BDC in the reticle that really works. I have both the 1-6X24 add 1-8x24. I would also suggest that you get a linear muzzle device. The AR Stoner from Midway USA is fine and only runs $30 right now. This device does cut down on recoil a little bit like a brake but most important it directs the muzzle blast down range away from you and does not concuss the shooter or anyone beside or behind the shooter, especially in a shooting house or tent blind. I have them on all my ARs.
As for magazines again the AR Stoner a good to go. I am pretty sure they are actually made by ASC because they look exactly the same. Elander mags are top notch and top price but one thing to be aware of is you can load the cartridge OAL longer with the Stoner mag than the Elander.
Also when it comes to loading dies I have both the Lee and the Hornady. Get the Hornady. The Lee over sizes the neck and then expands it out and the necks crack on the case after a few firings. The Hornady is much better. If you want to crimp your bullets do get a Lee Factory Crimp die. It works with any bullet. With proper neck tension you don't need to crimp. IMR 8208, ARcomp, H335, H4895 are all great powders.

I have three of the bear creek arsenal barrels in 6.5 Grendel, and they are all three tack drivers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.