AR-15 6.Something Gasser

CaptnC

I've been thinking about a gasser in something other than 5.56...already have a 20" gasser 7.62x39 which I really like but was thinking of something that might be better.

I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 and have built 4 different 6.5 bolt guns in the last year. It' time to do a gasser.

The 6.8 SPC is everywhere, but you don't see much about the 6.5 SPC.

Why?

I dig up all the brass I can when at the range. I pick up a lot of 300 BO for a buddy...found some reloadable 7.62X39 last trip that I grabbed for myself, but picked up abut 20 cases of 6.5 SPC by accident thinking it was 6.8 SPC. My buddy with the Blackout just finished a 6.8, but has yet to shoot it.

Any way, with the popularity of the 6.5 Grendal and the 6.8 SPC why isn't the 6.5 SPC king of the AR-15 platform?

The 6.5 SPC certainly should blow away the smaller 6.5 and the bullet selection of the 6.5 should blow away the 6.8.

I need some one to get me straight on the facts of these little 6.Something chamberings!

Why? Because the 6.5 Grendel is a superior case design. Larger case capacity doesn't always mean better performance. Case design efficiency has a lot to do with performance. The Grendel has both in spades. Also, the SPC uses a different bolt head diameter than the Grendel, which uses the same diameter (not the same headspacing) as the 7.62x39. Also, you can buy 6.5 Grendel barrels and bolts everywhere. Ammo is cheaper. Match ammo costs between $17-25 a box and can be found everywhere. Brass is cheap.

I'd just stick with the 6.5 Grendel.

Screenshot_2018-04-17-16-48-40.png
Well I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a 6.5 Grendel barrel from Classic Firearms for $75.99...

18" heavy barrel 1:8 mid length gas system stainless .750 gas block threaded barrel...

Need a bolt now...any one know where I can get one cheep?

Last edited:
Yeah Mud I have a complete rifle that I built years ago that has a full floated 18" stainless bull barrel on it. I doubt I have 50 rounds down the pipe. Shot it just enough to break it in, then put it in the safe. Only comes out to show people...then it goes back in.

I knew the bolt had to be swapped out, just need a decent deal on one.

The 6.5 Grendel case design is better suited for the AR15 platform.

The 6.8 SPC case doesn't lend itself well to longer, heavier bullets, particularly when necked down to 6.5. Longer bullets run the risk of having the ogive of the bullet inside the case mouth on the SPC case.

The 6.5 Grendel case is essentially an improved PPC case with the shoulder being moved forward as compared to the PPC case, giving it a bit more case capacity, while still allowing for ample bullet length outside the case.

The 6.5 Grendel is about as good as it gets for medium sized game with readily available ammo, cases, bullets, etc.

Also, not knocking your choice because we're all looking for the best deal out there, but I'm genuinely curious to see how accurate a $75 barrel is... I would expect the worst, and if it shoots good, be pleasantly surprised.

Yes sir Mud. I agree 110%...I don't expect too much out of it.

This is a 100yd deer rifle for the grand kids. I'm not even sure I will reload it. If it shoots as good as my 7.62X39 then I'm GTG with it. It shoots 1" at 100yds.

So if it by chance shoots really good then it will be a bonus.

I was not shooting this rifle any way, so even if it only shoots MOA of dead deer it will get used a lot more than it was with a 5.56 barrel on it.

I've talked with lots of folks in the past who had no real interest in their AR's (just like you) chambered in .223/5.56 and never thought of them as anything other than basic cheap junky inaccurate varmint rifles, range plinkers, knock-around truck guns, and home defense guns. But after talking with them some about the 6.5 Grendel (of which they had no idea what it was, or that it even existed), it's ballistics, the accuracy capabilities of a well-built high-quality AR, and how easy it is to swap over to it, they were instantly intrigued, and genuinely excited about the AR platform. I hope your new barrel shoots to expectation, because it is a phenomenal cartridge.

If the barrel doesn't perform to expectations, don't give up, I can recommend some solid 6.5 Grendel barrels for a good price.

I would bet money that's a bear creek arsenal barrel.

Their shop is quite close to me. Their barrels are very cheap. I have a few to test them out and am ok with them in their price range. They are not match barrels, but are not priced that way either.

I had one that would not close on GO, I had bought it and set it in the closet for about a year. They immediately took it in and sent me a brand new barrel. So customer service was quite good.

I have read some of the reviews and they mirror what jmc has found. They're not great shooters, but a decent value.

Mud, I have shot one hog with a 5.56 and it was not pretty.

A huge boar walked up on my wife and I while we sat watching our feeder. The shot was about 10 yards and I popped him level with his eye brows head on. It was a hollow point but I can' recall any more of the details on the ammo.

He went down like he was hit by a truck but was laying on his side making a running motion with all 4 wheels, squealing like crazy.

It took three more into the sternum area headed for the heart to finally stop all motion and noise.

I kept the skull because of the tusks and once the skull was done...one entry, and no exit! I now understand why our troops dislike it in combat.

I have hunted a lot with my 7.62X39 AR though. I've shot fall turkey, hogs, deer and Blackbuck Antelope with no issues at all. So I've enjoyed the AR platform for hunting, but can' do the 5.56.

I' sure this little 6.5 will again spark my interest in the AR platform again.

Thanks for all the help!

Still need a budget complete bolt though...

If the barrel doesn't perform to expectations, don't give up, I can recommend some solid 6.5 Grendel barrels for a good price.

Post a couple Mud...maybe someone else might be interested who is reading this thread. And save me from asking later if this turns out to be a turd! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.