AR-10's?

mlotziii

Anyone out there using an AR-10 as their rifle of choice for some long distance hunting? With the new AR-10 chambered for the Federal .338 it gives some more reliable ballistics and energy at the longer ranges.

I had an ArmaLite AR10 for a few years and used it last year for the first time. I killed three deer with it as well. But, I used if for doing drives, definately not long range. I think the longest shot on those 3 deer was about 30 yards. The rifle was an A-2 model and it made it awkward to use a scope as it raised the line of sight so high I could not get a cheeck weld.

I traded it a month ago for a new DPMS LR243. I have not hunted with it, but I did shoot a competition last weekend at 300 and 440 yards. Keep in mind that I had only fired the rifle one time before the match to see how accurate the rifle was. With a 6-18 power scope, I was able to do a 20 round group into less that 2 inches. But, I changed scopes and had to re zero the day of the match and check for scope cant. The scope is a 10-40 power Tasco (yeah, I know:(). The tallest scope rings I had were only about a medium height rings. so again, not a good cheeck weld. This time the scope was too low. The match results? I placed last. But, I bought a riser that brings the scope to the proper height, purchased some Berger VLDs and will have time to do some load development (and hopefully mount a better scope).

I think an AR 10 has enough potential to be a great hunting platform. DPMS offers 300 RSAUM, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor uppers, ArmaLite has the 338 Federal and the both offer 308 Win. Find a good gunsmith and any caliber in SA is possible. (take the 338 Federal and bore the chamber to 338 RCM) Some brands offer WSM uppers.

I plan on buying a 16" 308 upper for doing drives and buying a 338 Fed barrel to build a 338 RCM upper for longer ranges.

Word is in the winad as well that a LA lower is being built (possibly with the ability to switch LA and SA mag wells on the same receiver). That certainly will open up a whole new era for the ARs.

Rocky

I have not had the best of luck with the AR10's -- even tried a 10T and had issues with accuracy and to Armalite's credit the did replace the barrel! Now use the SR-25's one short tube the other long but with the current military demand good luck on finding one! Actually have been thinking about selling both the SR-15 and the 25's while the market is hot for them. They have not been out of the safe in a couple of years.

For the range I use the 308 to which is about 400 yards they are great.. Originally bought them to kill pigs en masse!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.