AR-10 or 6.8?

TBuckus

I enjoy shooting my AR-15, and thought a 6.8 would be fun to have that has a little more knockdown power for deer or hogs.
A friend mentioned why not an AR-10? I like the idea of better ammo options, but prefer a lighter gun and less recoil. Also, I believe I can build the 6.8 cheaper.

Suggestions from more knowledgable guys regarding these?

I enjoy shooting my AR-15, and thought a 6.8 would be fun to have that has a little more knockdown power for deer or hogs.
A friend mentioned why not an AR-10? I like the idea of better ammo options, but prefer a lighter gun and less recoil. Also, I believe I can build the 6.8 cheaper.

Do you mean a .308 platform? Armalite owns the AR10 which means you want specifically an Armalite based .308. What is your price range? What are your goals for larger game? How far do you plan on shooting? I cannot offer any advice on the 6.8 SPC since I am not too familiar with it. All I know is that the market is currently flooded with .223 (5.56) and .308 (7.62) ARs. I think the .308 maybe a better bet since there is higher ammo and rifle availability. Also, there is TONS of data on the 308 and its performance at extended ranges. It is also a proven game getter. Here is a .308 from DPMS that my buddy owns and its a pretty nice rifle. It feels solid in the hands, fit and finish is nice and its a 1 MOA rifle at 100 yards with a crappy barska scope. The recoil is very manageable with the heavy rifle and its gas operation and the recoil buffer knock it down less then my remington 700 .308. I am not saying this is the industry standard but for around a grand its a nice foot in the door for the .308 based market. Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will give some solid info on the 6.8SPC.

EDIT: A plus for the 6.8 is that I think it still uses standard 5.56 parts meaning same bolt face and upper/lower compatibility. Thats where you will save some money. Once again not an expert by any means.

LR-308

Yes about an AR platform .308. I'm new to AR's so my knowledge base is limited.

I'm leaning toward the 6.8 due to the fact that I can get into it for a lesser price. Although I have a feeling that brass will be a little hard to come by.

6.8 is a different size bolthead than a 5.56/.223. I don't have one but went with a .308 instead and it is a whole different platform. It will be heavier than the 6.8 but recoil is very manageable and ammo and brass is everywhere you look.

I built a 6.8 with 18" barrel for one of my boys and it has worked wonderfully for deer hunting. He has shot a few at 150 yards and under and the performance has been better than expected for the size of the round. I have shot one doe at 320 yards and the bullet still opened up very well. I personally wouldn't want to try anything over 400 with this round. The 308 will make a better long range gun but the AR15 platform is so much handier it is worth it to me. I expect to use the 6.8 on my next hog hunt. I'm using the 110 v-max Hornady factory load.

6.8 will be a lot lighter to carry on any hunt. You might want to research the 6.5grendel, it will be on an ar-15 platform but can shoot at ranges closer to the .308

I built my own AR-15. I also wanted something a little more like a 243 or 260, but then you have a whole new AR-10.

So I just bought complete uppers. In a minute I can change the upper from this 20 inch to this 6.8 20 inch. So I can change from a nice scoped 20 inch stainless 223 to one of my Redfield red/green dot with laser sight 223 or 6.8.

I bought muzzle brakes for all of them

Older picture

DSCN1837_zps9db01fcf.jpg

DSCN1839_zpsd363cd5b.jpg

Last edited:
Like all modular systems, so many options....

I went with a 6mmAR. For me it was a case of anything but a 5.56. I'm still waiting to use it on game. It's pretty warm here.

Some options where you could use your existing lower:
6mm AR
6mm SPC
6.5 Grendel
6.5 SPC
6.8 SPC

A 'AR-10/LR-308' type:
260 rem
260 CM

I would have to ask myself if the 6.8 is a fad cartridge and id it is going to be as known as the 308 with component availability of the 308.Which can have more range and which is a more all around cartridge. If I were you I would check out a FNAR. Far superior engineering to other platforms

If a .308 semi is your preference the FNAR is nice and they shoot well. If you hunt around you can find the Winchester version (FN owns them and Browning) and they all have the same technology and the Winny will save you a couple hundred.

In the not to distant past every one went with the 7.62&5.56 will always be available mentality and when the public got uneasy , those were two of the hardest and over priced to obtain. i.e. " .22 lr" Who would have thought 5 yrs ago that 20+ mon after a nation gun tragedy event that people are still hoarding it. Don't get me wrong , it's available but about 200% what is was in price.

Shoot what is going to suit your purpose well. I am no 6.8 guru but its been around for over 10 yrs and not going away. I personally prefer a 6.5 grendel and have a mountain of brass and components so if manufacturers say its a fad ( i doubt) i can use the same pwders to make it go boom as a 5.56 or 7.62.

I hope you find a real shooter and make it go boom regularly. :)

I have owned both the .308 ar and the 6.8spcII. I have taken both deer and coyotes with the 6.8 and have confidence in it. The 6.8 handles easier for me and the older I get the more I appreciate a lighter rifle. Both rifles are nice but the .308 spends most of its time in the safe.

I have and shoot both . That being said and like others have said on this post the 6.8 is a "Great" caliber and if you hand load you can extend it's lethal distance a bit and it's a lighter platform with a scope. The .308 AR platform is also nice but a bit heavier and may have a bit more shooting distance but for most applications the 6.8 works just fine and like others have mentioned here take a good look at the 6.5 Grendel as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.